Friday, August 20, 2010

Continued - After Surgery

The nurse got my cell phone number and told me someone would call as soon as the operation began.

"The waiting area for his surgery is on the fourth floor.  Someone from the surgical team will call you and Dr. Moran will meet with you after it is over.  Mr. Adams will stay in recovery for at least an hour.  So, now would be a good time for you to get a little rest and maybe have lunch.  I know you are exhausted."  The nurses and care partners had been wonderful.  Every way I turned, someone was trying to help me.

Several more friends had joined us now, and we decided to go downstairs and get a bite to eat in the Heart Institute Cafe.  Food there is heart healthy and with all the windows and fancy furnishings, it made for a pleasant place to rest, lick my wounds, and get ready for the next round.  George, our dear friend who works with the hospital, joined us too.  Then, our preacher, Martin, came.  Our circle of people who love John was growing and with everyone talking, saying prayers, and getting to know one another, it made the wait more tolerable for me.

George told us what a great heart surgeon and how well respected internationally, Dr. Moran was.  In all the flurry of activities, I hadn't even had time to think about John having the best doctor there was.  But George assured me, he was excellent.

We talked about the Heart Institute's state of the art operating rooms being the largest in the United States, our tax money at work. Seems Dr. Chitwood, the magnet who rallied to get the Heart Institute, a.k.a. "The Palace", built and successfully brought so many great people here to ECU, had a good friend in Texas that had the largest operating rooms in the USA. That was until this building was completed.  When they designed the operating rooms here, they were six inches LARGER than the operating rooms in Texas.  Six inches, but that was all it took to get bragging rights.  I didn't care how big the rooms were, I was just thankful, the surgeon in charge of my baby, was considered one of the best.

After what seemed like forever, I got a call, the operation was finished and Dr. Moran would be waiting for me upstairs.   I don't know if you have ever had a situation like this, you know there are so many things that could go wrong during surgery.  Your heart wants to believe everything is okay and life will be good again.  But....the reality of the situation keeps reminding you that maybe everything didn't go as it should and once that doctor walks in the room, your life may be changed forever.  I was trying ever so hard not to fight demons that may or may not appear, but it was hard.  I gathered up my things and with all my friends in tow, we headed toward the elevators.

When I arrived in the waiting area, I was greeted by one of Dr Moran's associates.  Dr. Moran was changing out of his scrubs and he would meet me in the conference room in just a few minutes.  I asked John's sister Barbara, and my dear friend, Joan, to come in with me.  Sometimes, when there is so much information being given, an extra set of ears, can help make sure everything is heard and understood.  I sat down in the chair just next to the one for Dr. Moran.  Joan and Barbara were seated to my left.  The room was paneled in wood and very well appointed.  And, there were plenty of tissues, just in case.  We sat there quietly, each in our own world of thought, praying John was okay.

The door opened and Dr. Moran came in.

To be continued....

PCQ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Left hanging again.
Willamina

Anonymous said...

If your knees are shaking....kneel on them....Put your hand in His hand, and God will give you the help to keep you brave as long as necessary and the strength to hold on.....Thinking of you,John,Meredith and Lauren each day and hoping that soon all this will pass and your days will be filled with only joy,love and great happiness......Jamie

Susan Kearney said...

I am praying for positive news - Through it all, John and Pat Adams are the cutest couple around! Keeping life as fun as they can considering all things against them. Praying HARD!!!! Susan