Wednesday, August 4, 2010

John's Birthday Party



Don't we look like a happy bunch?  What a grand time we had.  Great conversations, lots of laughs, good food, and best of all, fellowship with dear friends.

We were hesitant to plan the evening. Joan and Paula had both called and offered to bring food or meet us somewhere.  I wasn't sure what to do.  Didn't know how I would feel after a long day of chemotherapy, but I was okay.  Didn't know how John would be.  He's still getting over the surgery on his neck and was up very early for the PET scan. But we rallied and got er done!

We laughed about old stories.  One of my favorites is from my friend taking her daughter on a shopping trip for shampoo.  Seems Dear Daughter always wants to buy the most expensive kind.  Mother wanted to use it as a teaching moment and help Dear Daughter understand how much she was paying per ounce and to determine if that was indeed a good deal.  As they were looking over the large assortment of shampoos and conditioners, DD yelled, "Here's one for $1.99."  Mother says, "How much is in it?"  DD unscrews the top, looks in and yells back, "It's full to the top." Priceless!

The other funny tale from the same DD.  As they were traveling to the beach many years ago, a
U-HAUL truck was along side of them.  After studying the truck for a few minutes, DD blurts out, "U-HAUL....I get it!"  Yes indeed she did, and to this day, I never see a U-HAUL truck without getting a smile on my face.


The final story involves the Piggly Wiggly, hence the photo just for her.  When my friend's DD was in the fifth grade, there was a young boy who tormented her daily.  He took her pencils, money, anything she had he tried to get.  To make it worse, he badgered her all the time too.  One night when the family was sitting down for dinner, DD started crying.  Mother wanted to know what was wrong.  DD told her the boy that was harassing her told everybody in the class that "her mama shops at the Piggly Wiggly," and she exploded in tears.

Now I am not sure exactly why that was considered to be so bad, but for a fifth grader under constant pressure from the class bully, it sure did the trick.  And after hearing that story, it has become one of my favorite sayings....."Yo mama shop at the Piggly Wiggly."  Another smile, so we couldn't leave tonight without getting a photo of birthday boy pointing at the Piggly Wiggly for our friend's DD.

Thanks to all who made tonight special for John.  I hope you had as much fun as we did.

PCQ  (I'm sticking with the pig!)

No comments: