Monday, October 18, 2010

Busy Week

John has had a busy week.  And if John has had a busy week, I have too.  During this past week, he has had radiation every day, three days of blood tests and X-Rays, two trips to outpatient services at the hospital to get a total of 4 units of blood and one unit of platelets.  Thankfully, Friday's blood test said he was full of joy juice and all his numbers were great.

Thursday, I took a partial day off of taking care of John and went to the ECU Women's Roundtable at the Greenville Convention Center with my friend, Ann.  The purpose of the event is to raise money for ECU scholarships. It was a grand conference.

Our friend, Tony, stepped up and took on my responsibilities for the day, with regard to John.  The conference started at 9 a.m.  Tony picked John up around noon and took him to his radiation appointment, and then lunch.  Afterwards, he took John to PCMH Outpatient Services to get his last two units of blood.  I joined them there.

Earlier that day, I was enjoying the wonderful speakers at the conference.  Of course, my favorite was Jeanne Robertson, humorist speaker and past (tallest by the way) Miss North Carolina, who spoke after lunch.  She is a hoot and you can view her Bungee Jump speech she did for us at the link below.  Given all that I have had going on recently, it was nice to enjoy the day with my friend and have a few belly laughs....I really needed that.

Jeanne Robertson's Bungee Jump


Here's a photo of me and Jeanne Robertson with urinals behind us.  The convention center had converted the men's rooms into women's rooms for the conference since mostly women were attending.  When I went into the "Ladies' Room" before lunch, Jeanne Robertson, was in front of me and she looked at me and said, "Now who are you?"  We started talking and I told her coincidentally, I had just viewed her Pound Cake video on YouTube the weekend before when my daughter, Lauren, was home. I told her my husband had been sick and my dear friend Joan had brought one of her mother, Cleo's, pound cakes to us.  We laughed about pound cakes and sick people and she said, "So many people have told me they have heard my pound cake story, I don't think I will do that one today.  Think I'll do the Bungee Jump."  I didn't tell her I had just viewed that one recently too.  "You know," she said, "we decided to put these on YouTube and we have had millions of hits.  Who would have thought that many people would listen to clean humor?"

I grabbed my camera and asked if she would pose for a photo.  "Sure," she said, "and make sure you get the urinals in the picture, cause years from now, when you are dead and gone, your children will be going through your photos and they will see this and say, 'What in the world was she doing in the men's bathroom?'" So, I got a friend to snap the photo above.

It was a fun day.  But I did hear some startling statistics about women and money.  Need to call our financial advisor and plan a meeting.

Wagon still rolling.
PCQ

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Jeanne Robertson too. I'm glad you got to do something fun.

Willamina

lauren said...

Sounds like a blast!

annie456 said...

Enjoyed being with you last Thursday. Love the picture of you and Jeanne!!

Anonymous said...

You do have a very interesting life! I never know where I'll see you; in a men's room with Jeanne Swanner Robertson or out by the highway trying to sell a car. The bathroom photo is priceless; she'll add that to one of her interesting stories, I'm sure. I remember when she was Miss NC and she was very funny then too.
You and John keep that wagon rolling. Susan Hardison