Tuesday, October 26, 2010

NC State Fair

I didn't get to go to the State Fair this year.  Really sorry about that, but, it just couldn't be helped.  And, to tell the truth, I do the same things every year.  But this year, the attendance broke the one million mark and I am sorry that I wasn't one of the clicks on the turnstile that helped break that record.

Growing up, I always went to the fair.  Sort of took it for granted.  Anyone who lives in North Carolina, needs to go to the fair, but I never realized what a great fair we have till our girls were showing horses and we ended up at horse shows at other state fairs.  Wow, we are so lucky.  Most state fairs are pretty wimpy, but not ours.  It is just too much fun.

Several years ago, I decided I was old enough to do what I wanted to do, and thought spending a week working at the state fair would be fun.  So, I set about finding a job.  Didn't take me long.  Before I knew it, I had the grand job of handing out free samples of Neese's Liver Pudding!  (It is called liver mush in some places.) All the liver pudding I could possibly want, plus, I got in free, and was paid to do it!  How cool is that?  I also discovered the underground economy at the fair.  You give me some maple cotton candy and I'll trade you a pound of liver pudding.  Done deal!

I loved being at the fair.  But it was hard work.  It is amazing how many people actually LIKE liver pudding and don't think their fair visit is complete until they have been by the Neese's booth and grabbed a few samples of the puddin'.  And with thousands of people going to the fair every day, that adds up to a lot of liver pudding being dished out!

Got to make new friends while I was there too.  Even allowed me an invitation to be a SPAM judge.  Yes, the state fair has a SPAM cooking contest and believe it or not, people enter it.

So, put that on my list of "Certified to DO!"  North Carolina State Fair SPAM judge.....the joys of life.

PCQ

3 comments:

lauren said...

We do love the fair! Lots of GREAT memories!

annie456 said...

I think you are just a "FAIR PERSON"!! Fun, one of a kind, something new around every corner, a thrill a minute!!! You, Patsy, are the FAIR!!!!

Stephanie Hale said...

I have honestly never heard of Liver Pudding. Or Mush. Will have to put that on my to-do list...try Liver Pudding. Hope you are feelin' ok Pat and please give our best to John! xoxo