Monday, November 29, 2010

PCMH - Continued

John was whisked away to his room with me and Lauren in tow.  When we arrived on the floor, it was quiet, but the first person we saw was Darryl, one of his nurses on a prior visit.  We called him Darryl and his other brother Darryl, from an old TV show, The Bob Newhart Show.  Didn't take long before we were in the room....though getting his bed in took a bit of maneuvering due to the poor room design.  Think I could have done a better design on one of my bad days.

Anyway, just as we were starting to make our nest, we were told the whole unit was moving that day.  It was now, Monday, November 1st, and the Oncology ward was being moved to the Heart Institute so it could get a much needed renovation.  Was I happy?  Yes, but my biggest concern was making sure John was taken care of during this move and transition.  So easy for little things to fall between the cracks when there are distractions.   And a M.A.S.H. style move would be a major distraction.

By now it was nearly 5 a.m.  The room was small and there was only one chair that would recline, so Lauren grabbed a pillow and blanket and went looking for a quiet place to rest.  John was comfortable in a real bed.  The beds in the ER are smaller and less accommodating, but they allow for the needs of the ER.  I took a blanket and pillow and did my best to get comfy in the one chair in the room.  I was by the window and as I lay there saying my prayers, I looked out across the parking lot.  With the street lights, I could see people walking to their cars, delivery trucks coming and going.  The world was getting ready to wake up.  As I watched and thought, it occurred to me, I didn't know where Lauren went.  Suppose something happens and I need to find her right away?  I quietly got up and wandered down the hall to the rooms that were once the oncology waiting rooms and conference areas.  They were all empty and dark in anticipation of the move.  Finally, through a window I caught a glimpse of a crumpled, while blanket with a wisp of red hair falling out over the pillow.  I'd found my baby and she seemed to be asleep.

I went back to the room.  John was still quiet so I gently slipped back into my chair, arranged my pillow and blanket and drifted off to sleep.  Didn't take long for the quiet to be interrupted.  I mean we were in the  hospital, and it is no place to get rest.  Darryl was checking to make sure everything was ready for the move.  He rummaged through the cabinets, unhooked some stuff from the walls, and piled it all on John's bed.  Then off he went.  I looked at John, "If you need to go to the bathroom, you'd best do it soon before you are completely covered with hospital equipment."

Lauren came in and went over to the chair by the window.  "Can I crash here a bit, they are moving stuff in the hallway and I couldn't get back to sleep."  "Sure, go ahead and rest, I have a few emails to send," I said.

There was a small chair on the other side of John's bed, so I sat there.  Soon, Lauren was napping in the chair.  The morning sun was picking up the red highlights in her hair.  I couldn't help but notice John.  He was laying in the bed looking at her.  She did look so sweet cuddled there.  I guess as parents, we are lucky enough to have all those wonderful memories stored away of when they were small and needed us so much.  Looking at her resting, it was almost like a flashback to 30 years ago when she was still our "little girl".  But now she is an adult, teaching other adults at the university, and we are so proud of her.  But I looked at John.  He just stared at her.  I wanted to ask him what he was thinking, but thought it best to let him enjoy looking at his baby.

Breakfast trays were soon delivered, the day began.  John's doctor came by and talked with us.  He was changing some medications and would check back later in the day and he left.  Lauren was not happy with the questions I asked and the answers I received.  I encouraged her to go find him and clear up her concerns.  And she did.  She was upset, her dad was sick and she wanted to know more.  John and I certainly understood her frustration.  Guess we were conditioned to all of this, we had been going non stop, bombarded by things that had to be done, decisions that had to be made, learning all we could, and we didn't like any of it either.  Makes you want to wrap yourself up in the tin foil of life and hope it will protect you.  Life is quite different when you step into the "cancer world".  You just look at things, react to things, differently.  You don't have any other choice.

Before long, the move began.  Our wagon was being pulled again.

To be continued....
PCQ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened to stop by the hospital on moving day to pick up my books from a friend. Marsha Rehm is in my Sunday School class and works on the oncology floor.
Going to some survivor events, I also met Debra Macaranus. She was very informative and is a patient advocate in oncology.
Willamina

annie456 said...

What an ordeal! Your hide is REALLY tough!! Love you!