Tuesday, January 18, 2011

#14 Chemo

Today was my 14th chemo treatment on the second round of medications.  It didn't go well.  My blood numbers were all normal and I had "porked up" and gained a pound.  We won't even talk about my blood pressure.

Anyway...got through all the regular tests and was in the chemo room ready for treatment.  My nurse came over and started the party by hooking me up via my port.  Didn't take me long to realize she was having trouble.  Stand up, sit down, deep breaths, arm up, arm down, cough, cough....she wasn't having any success.  We started over and tried everything again.  Finally, the flow was good, and my chemo treatment was started.

First drug I am given is the anti nausea drug, then the good, cancer killer drugs begin.

But today was different, something didn't feel right.  And it hurt.  Not just around the port, but my entire shoulder.  It started off as pain when I moved a certain way, but as the treatment continued, the pain increased.  I called the nurse and told her what was going on.  She immediately stopped the treatment and called the doctor.  He was there in just a few minutes, looking, poking.  "We need to get a dye test to see if there is a leak or a problem with the line.  That doesn't happen very often, but something is causing the pain," he said.  "The port may have to be removed."  Not what I wanted to hear or think about.

So, I am now scheduled for tests on Thursday morning at Pitt Memorial outpatient services.  Will keep you updated.

PCQ

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't go well today. I'm continually grateful that my time in that space all went smoothly and no problems. Will keep you in my prayers.

Gale

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your port. I was lucky that I've had mine since 2007 with no problems. Still use it bi-monthly. You will be in my prayers that everything will work out good.
Willamina

Stephanie Hale said...

Boo hiss, don't like this at all. Hoping you get some better news this morning, you certainly deserve it.

annie456 said...

So sorry all this happened to you! I think you have had enough luggage in that wagon. Wonder why things are not just simple. A port should just work, etc??
Anyway, I will be checking with you. Think of you daily!!