Monday, May 24, 2010

Big Week!

This past week was difficult.  I started out in a deep hole after having the UTI with high fever and taking way too long to find the right antibiotics.  But by Monday, my fever was gone and I was "ready" for chemotherapy treatment #5.  Knew it would harder on me this time because my body hadn't had a chance to recover from the last treatment, it was too busy fighting the UTI.

And Lauren was home along with her boyfriend, Jake.  My baby was here and I was too weak to enjoy her. She offered to go with me to my chemo treatment Monday morning, but I wanted her to stay home and get her work done.  Sitting in the doctor's waiting room for 6+ hours while I have my chemo treatment seemed a little selfish of me.  Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to know she was sitting right outside if I needed her, but I knew I could manage okay by myself and she could use her time much better waiting for me at home and maybe having lunch with her daddy.

Thankfully, my blood pressure was okay and blood counts were good.  It is always a a concern with chemo that the white blood count will go down and cause your body to be unable to fight off infection.  That was certainly a concern with the UTI scare, but all was okay.  The only concern during this visit was a weight loss of 8 lbs.  I had lost 4 lbs. the session before.  Still have a little fat I can sacrifice, but the trend is not good.

After getting through the normal discussions about my treatment, I told Dr. Mahajan I had a few trips coming up this summer.  What were my options?  No need to plan a trip if I was going to feel so bad I would not enjoy it.  May as well just stay home.  Don't get me wrong, I love being home and enjoy my quiet country life, but sometimes opportunities present themselves and they are just too good or too important to miss.

Dr. Mahajan was very kind and said, "Let's see what we can do."  We had initially planned to have a CT and MRI after the 6th treatment, but Dr. Mahajan said we could move it up just a bit so I now have them both scheduled for this Thursday morning, the 27th.  The results will be available on my next visit with him.  Normally, that would be the following Monday, but that's Memorial Day, and his office will be closed.  He will be gone on Tuesday, so my next opportunity to see him will be Wednesday, June 2nd.

That will be a big day.  I'll know then if the treatments are working.

I try not to think about it deep in the  night when I wake up and can't get back to sleep.  It seems way too easy for those nasty demons to rear their heads when it is dark and you feel so alone.

I've pulled this red wagon with lots of help from all of you over all the bumps, twists, and turns, on this road.

Soon we will know.

PCQ

5 comments:

Nancy Harris said...

Dear Pat,
I will continue to keep you, John, and June 2nd in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Pat, Sorry to hear you have been so sick. I was really beginning to worry since you had not posted lately. Glad you are doing better. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Love you all bunches.

Jean

Anonymous said...

sorry you have been sick!!! you tell those scary thoughts at night how big and powerful your team of supporters are!!!! praying for you daily and looking forward to seeing you soon. love, leslie and gang

annie456 said...

I know June 2nd will be a good day!! We are just going to keep the prayers coming in strong!!
In the mean time- Looking forward to seeing you on Friday!! Your wish is OUR command!!

Stephanie Hale said...

Yes, we WERE wondering where you were! Don't like hearing that you've been sick though, hopefully the third try RX has been the charm. Thinking of you often, only wish we lived closer... sending GET WELL prayers your way! <3