Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Where Have You Been?

Thanks to all of you that were worried about me.  I didn't post on Facebook or update my blog for sometime and many of you were concerned.

Well, there was reason to be concerned.  I have been very sick.  As I continue these chemo treatments, they seem to get a little more difficult.  The accumulative effect, they call it.  After being bombarded by such strong drugs, your body becomes a little more beaten down and less able to handle the next round.

And, thank you "dear friend" that told me about one of her other friends that is on the waiting list for a new heart due to damage from chemo.  Oh yes....I really needed to hear that.  Had not even thought about that concern.  The port I have feeds all my chemo drugs directly into my heart for quick dispersal.  Well, all I can do is pray for the best, this ship has sailed.

I knew I wasn't feeling well last Wednesday, but thought it was taking longer to get over the previous treatment.  By Thursday morning, I realized I may have another urinary tract infection, so I called my physician and spoke with his nurse, Austin.  She told me to get a sample in to them and they would get a prescription called into the pharmacy.  During all of this, I was also having to deal with insurance issues.  With the merger of my employer and change in insurance plans, I have been jerked around quite a bit and when I went in to get the antibiotics needed, they told me my insurance had expired!  WHAT?  But nothing worked, so home I went.  After several calls and getting different information, I finally got through to a supervisor who immediately corrected it and I called the pharmacy and all was clear.

Got the antibiotics and thought all would be better soon.  But, Friday morning when I awoke, my fever was 102 degrees, oh no, not good.  I waited for the doctor's office to open and called to let them know this antibiotic was not working.  Another one called in for me.  I felt so bad, John picked it up on his lunch break and brought it home for me.  Now, all would be fine.

NOT!  Saturday morning, I awoke with 103+ fever, and I was very, very, sick.  John scooped me up and hauled me over to Physicians East Urgent Care.  I was so sick and felt so bad, I could barely walk and hold my head up.  Don't remember the last time I was that sick.  Apparently, the second antibiotic issued wasn't working either, but it had not been 24 hours yet, the time I usually allow for the drugs to work.

Luckily, I got Dr. Martinez at Urgent Care.  She had worked in the Oncology unit with all of my doctors and was familiar with the drugs I was being given and what I was going through.  She was ever so kind.  Her concern was that I may be having a sharp decrease in my white blood count, which is a big concern with the chemo patients.  White blood cells fight infections, so if there is a sharp decline that could be what was causing part of the problem.  I had not even considered that being my problem.  Now I was not only really sick, I was frightened.  They came in to take some blood.  Was not a good experience.  I was so weak, dehydrated, and fevered, that she was having trouble getting into my vein and it was hurting.  John, being the sweet husband he is, knew it was difficult and was rubbing my legs trying to distract me, but it was not enough.  Finally, she went to my hand and got what she needed but by now I was shaking, my body had taken about all it could.  Now please understand, I am not a wimp at giving blood, I can't count the number of times I have been jabbed in the past year, plus, I give a blood sample every time I go to get a chemo treatment.  They check to make sure all of my counts are good and so far them have been, that is why I had not even considered a problem with my WBC.

After checking all of my information, Dr. Martinez came in and told me the infection was resistant to the first two antibiotics I was given and she was issuing #3.  My white blood count (WBC) was fine and we headed back home.  During all of this, I was so sick, I barely remember the drive home or stopping to get the antibiotics.  But once home, John got me on the couch and tucked me in, gave me the medicine and said, "Now get better!"  Within about 6 hours, and after a good long nap, I could feel I was getting better, but I still had a long way to go.  I had dug a deep hole and it was going to take some time to get out of it and I didn't have any time to waste.  Monday was chemo day again and if I was still running a fever they would not allow me in for treatment.  So, Sunday was spent resting and getting as many fluids in as possible.  It worked.  By late Sunday, I was feeling so much better and on Monday morning, chemo went off without a hitch.  My little red wagon had a wild ride for a few days.

PCQ

3 comments:

annie456 said...

So glad to speak to you today. I could hear the weakness in your voice and the strength to get better at the same time!! You ARE an amazing person, you know!!
Sorry you have had to endure yet another several days of feeling worse than you usually would after your treatment. BUT, I am so glad you are better now!! Looking forward to next weekend. You rest up!!! You know you will need your strength--we all will!!!!!!!

Willamina said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fatigue and pain. It is such a bad feeling. After my chemo, I got a shot of Nulasta two days later to help my WBC.
I will pray that you will continue to gain strength and feel better.

Anonymous said...

Friend! Wish I could be sick for you! My heart aches that you have to endure so much! Sending up prayers RIGHT NOW for a whole lot of "feel good" days! Love from the Fussells