Thursday, May 27, 2010

Got That Done

Was up early and downing the yucky stuff you must drink before having a CT scan at 7:30 this morning.  Couldn't eat anything, which was probably good, as the stuff I had to drink made me a little nauseous cause it tastes....  and "I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon." (that description comes from columnist Dave Barry as he tells about a colon procedure he had...see Oct. 2009 blog, "Please Get Checked" for full and funny, but unfortunately true details)  Drank one jug at 7:30 and the next at 8:30.  So, after downing the first quart and getting dressed, stretchy clothes, no jewelry, makeup, etc., I headed to Greenville for my 8:15 MRI.  The MRI takes about an hour and the nurse had to give me some injections that show up stuff.  MRIs are 'fun' cause you are stuffed into a little tube and the machine makes a lot of noise, thumping, whirling sounds.  I always request them to give me a cloth to cover my eyes and ask for headphones with music and...a fan, cause when they put the stuff in the IV it always makes me get warm.  (see previous Sept. 2009 blog about first MRI and the St. Louis Gateway Arch)


Here's my arm with more holes in it!  

After the MRI, I was scheduled for a CT scan.  By then, I had consumed the second quart of milky white stuff.  Just about the time I was ready for the next scan, the nurse came out and told me she wanted me to drink another bottle of good stuff.  I drank about half the bottle and by then, my tummy was saying.....NO MORE!  So off to the bathroom I go, not sure exactly how it was going to end up.  I was sweating and thinking I just don't think I can drink any more.  So I didn't.  But that didn't stop my tummy from turning flips.  Now, my challenge was to be able to lay still for the 15 minutes it would take to get the CT scan done.  

Thankfully, with lucky timing, I made it....barely.  Afterwards, the nurse asked me to wait a few minutes for the radiologist to review the scan to make sure it didn't have to be redone.  Sometimes, they have had to call people back to get another scan done.  Oh no, please let it be okay, don't think I can drink all that stuff again.

After what seemed like a hour, she came out and told me I could leave.  By then it was 12:00, my hands were shaking and I was really ready to go home and get on MY couch and rest.

What a day.  My little red wagon got jerked all around in many directions, but we made it home.  

I'll have results next Wednesday.  Now, my challenge is to not worry till then.

PCQ

2 comments:

Kimmy said...

Only thing I can say is: "Bless your sweet, little baby heart."

Willamina said...

That was a lot for one day.
Remember you're in God's hands.
Give your worries and burdens to Him for His load is light.
Praying for good results.
Willamina