Wednesday, December 8, 2010

QR Codes

I love it when I find out about something new, it's just the way I am.  John always thought I embraced new technology.  I guess that I do, I am certainly not afraid of it.  Just never seemed an option to dismiss new things.  We have to learn about them or we are left behind.

And, I always perk up when I see something new.  QR codes (QR stands for Quick Response) were something new for me.  I first noticed it when Jake, Lauren's boyfriend, had one for his Facebook photo.  Didn't have a clue what it was, just thought it was cute, so he did one for me.  Still, no lights on yet.  Then one day, while reading CNN news, I saw an article about an ad on the giant billboard in Times Square.  It was a QR code.  The article explained the "intelligent people" would use their "smartphones" to scan the ad.  All the other dumb people, that would be me, would look at the smart folk holding their phones up to the ad and wonder what the heck they were doing.

Not wanting to be one of the dumb people, I kept reading.  The ad in Times Square was a QR code ad only accessible by using an application on your smartphone.  When you scan the ad, it would give information for Calvin Klein jeans.

Since that day, I have seen two QR codes.  One was in the Pitt Memorial Hospital cafeteria, with a statement "Change is coming", or something like that.  The other, an ad for Crocs and pictured below, I just saw in Rachel Ray's magazine.  Thought I would share with all of you....so you will be one of the smart folk too.



The QR code is in the bottom left. They are sort of like our bar codes here and are ubiquitous in Japan.  Keep your eyes open.  Bet you will see more of them soon.

PCQ

2 comments:

annie456 said...

Can you only read the codes with an iPhone? Will a Blackberry do the same thing?? I wnat to know!!

Unknown said...

The newer Blackberry's will scan them if you have the app for it. :)