Sunday, March 20, 2011

For Sale!

One of the most difficult things I have had to do, is sell or dispose of things that are strong reminders of John.  On one hand it is easy, and on the other, very emotional.

John had an old brown Toyota farm truck that just wouldn't quit, it kept going and going.  And, with several employees driving it on a pig farm seven days a week, it stayed dirty and smelled.  Especially in the summer, if you get my drift....no pun intended.

Before John died, it was one of the first things I looked for when coming home.  Seeing this truck, and another he had, let me know he was home and finished for the day.

It was on its last legs, but, it still ran.  After John passed away, it ended up being parked in the back yard and every time I walked by the back door, or came up the driveway, and saw it, I was reminded that John wasn't home.


It was time for it to go, but where do I start?  When I trained new employees at work, I always imparted certain mantras, and "Use your resources", was one of them.  I had checked Blue Book for the truck value.  Not good.  Looked like salvage would get me $200 and then I had to pay to have it picked up.  Not good.  So, I used my resources and called our mechanic, Eugene at the Car Shop....though I call him Eugenius, cause he is so smart.

"Put it on Craigslist, say it is for parts and ask $500 firm!" he said.  So I did.  Below is the ad.

Selling a 1986 Toyota 5 speed long bed Xtra cab truck. It runs but I have Junked it with NCDMV because it will not pass inspection, can be used for parts. So selling AS IS!!! Will not guarantee it will run long. Was used as a farm truck and cannot be on the road with NCDMV junk status. Dirty, seat is damaged from getting in and out with ViseGrips in pocket, window doesn't roll up all the way, tailgate has bungee cord holding it shut, rusty, no radio, heat or AC, windshield wipers or brake lights, speedometer and gas gauge do not work, clutch slipping, so it is hard to change gears. Has been a faithful friend but it is time to go. $500 firm! Don't even ask!  As I said...JUNK...for parts!  $500 Firm!  Did I say it is dirty???  and I am not going to waste any time cleaning it up.  Send email with phone # and I will contact you ASAP.


Immediately I received several emails with dumb questions like, "How many MPG?"  Answer:  "Don't know, speedometer and gas gauge do not work, just have to guess when you need to buy gas."  Another one, "What's wrong with it?"  Answer: "Everything, selling for parts."  Then finally, a sensible email, "Do you still have the Toyota truck?  Can I come pick it up today?  Will pay cash."  Now that's my kind of email.


We were to meet around 2 p.m. here at my house, so I called Harold, my 90 year old body guard to come over around 1:30 to help me get some of the stuff out of the truck and so I would not be alone when the buyer arrived.


My buyer, Jeff, soon arrived with his rollback.  He checked the truck to make sure there was a motor, paid me, and loaded the truck.




After he finished, I asked, "What are you going to do with it?"  "We cut them in half and ship them overseas," he said.

"Ummmm... I don't want to turn on CNN one night and see an old brown Toyota truck with a white tailgate in some foreign country full of young militants with guns!" I said.  "Well, I can't guarantee what will happen to it after it is sold," he replied.  Nuff said.

Before he left, he asked if he could walk over to see my bottle tree.  Gave him the 411 on the history of Southern bottle trees.  He thought his wife would like to have one, so I told him how easy they are to create.  Of course, he was very impressed with my Las Vegas lights that come on at night fall.

Before saying goodbye, he asked, "Do you want me to help you get those tools and concrete moved?" Those were all farm items that had been in the truck I was selling.  "Oh, yes, please," I said, knowing Harold and I shouldn't do it.  Him being a young buck, he jumped right on it.  He moved the bag of concrete, box of tools and even put all my trash in the back of the other truck....plus a large, heavy, urn that I was getting ready to repot.  Whew....what a sweetheart.  Soon he was off and I waved goodbye to a truck full of memories....but it was time.

After he left, I told Harold I was sure glad we didn't have any trouble with him, cause I think he would have won.

PCQ




3 comments:

lauren said...

Funny about it being sold overseas! I wonder what that is about? Glad you had Harold there and that the young man helped you with some heavy lifting. Love you!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

I was curious about it too. But, like he said, no promises. But I will be looking for old Toyotas from now on. Hope the spandex house cover is going well.

Love you..miss you bunches!

MOM

leebc said...

Funny.....John told me about Eugenius many years ago, and I never forgot about it, although I never met the man!! Turns out he was true to his name again, huh? Know that ordeal was hard...but better knowing it's over.