Friday, March 4, 2011

Sunday Night


Umphrey's McGee 
(Joel is on the far right on keyboards)

Took us all awhile to get going Sunday morning after Saturday night's dinner party.  But, we did finally get back in gear.  It was another beautiful day, lots of fun and, of course, a nap, just so we would be ready for the long night.  (Please tell me why concerts start so late?)

Anyway, dinner at The Hardshell in Richmond's Shockoe District was first.  But did I tell you it was with some of the band?  Our concert was Umphrey's McGee, a progressive rock jam band.  I know, I know, I don't look like the progressive rock jam band type, but....this band was different.  Dinner was great and the conversation wonderful.  But soon, we were off to the concert.

A little history, in 2009, Mary, Kay's daughter, got married.  John and I attended the wedding and had a wonderful time.  I had so much fun Saturday night at the party, my hand was bruised the next morning from playing a tamborine.  So, at breakfast that Sunday, I was seated with a handsome young man named Joel.  Didn't know him, other than seeing him at the wedding.  But we chatted and he told me I had "rock and roll bruises".  I liked that.  A few days later, talking with Kay, I found out he was the keyboard player with a big rock band...Umphrey's McGee.  Joel was dating, and later married, Kay's next door neighbor.

After that, I followed the band, and of course, Kay would tell me when they were playing in the area.  And when they were coming this time, she asked if I wanted to go.  I really felt a connection to the band.  They had autographed CDs and hats for John for his birthday last August.  What a kind thing to do and John and I really appreciated it.


John with his hat the band sent him for his birthday last year.

Anyway, back to the concert.  The concert was being held at the historic National Theatre in downtown Richmond.  It was an old movie theatre that has been redone.  A majestic place with an intimate feel, that allowed about 1500 people to rock the night away.  We were treated like royalty!  Had a special pass to get in and a special place to sit.  But first, we were taken to the second floor where there was  room to wait and talk before the concert.  I was in awe of the beauty of the theatre and the anticipation of a rock concert!  Met so many wonderful people and saw a lot of "interesting" people too.

During the band's break, Joel allowed us to go back to their dressing room and personally showed me around.  I can't tell you how much that meant to me.  He is a wonderful and very kind young man.  And so were all the others too.  Had a long talk with the drummer, Kris.  He was spectacular and I couldn't imagine playing drums as he does for a whole concert.  Told him how much I enjoyed just watching him.  He was so smooth....and "in the pocket".   I know this sounds strange, but I did feel of his arms.  He had the softest skin! 

But soon, it was time to leave and get back to our seats for the final set.  They did play the Beatles, Band on the Run, and I think they did it as well as the Beatles.  And the crowd went wild.

It was an awesome night and I will remember it forever.  Thanks to all that made this a wonderful night for an old woman.

Rock on...
PCQ 

No comments: