Monday, February 28, 2011

Saturday Night




Told you I was having fun at Kay's, my "party in a box" friend.  We had picked up food, grabbed Mary from her friend and were back home to get ready for the night.  Most of the guests were coming around 7 for dinner, but Kay asked Roddy to come a little sooner.

Kay met Roddy in her yoga class some time back and they became fast friends.  During one of their chats, he mentioned he was a blues singer and pianist.  She was intrigued by that and queried him about where he performed.  Seems as though he was going to be performing in Greenville NC in a few weeks, so Kay called me and suggested John and I try to go.  It was on a Sunday in April and we went....it was wonderful.  John and I introduced ourselves and Roddy became our friend too.  We told him to please let us know when he would be coming back.

Fast forward to January, 2011, on my way home from the doctor's office and my chemo treatment... the phone rings.  It was Kay, "Roddy's going to be in Greenville tonight.  He forgot to alert me till now.  Hope you can go."

We chatted for a few more minutes and then I hung up the phone.  Wow, I would love to hear him sing and play, but I felt so bad from my chemo treatment.  And he wouldn't be playing till 9 p.m.  That was really late for me after all my body had been through that day.  About that time my cell phone rang, it was my daughter Lauren.  I told her of my plight and she said, "Mom, if you go home, months from now you will not remember what you did tonight, but if you go see Roddy, you'll remember it!"  Nuff said!  I put the plan in motion, gathered up a few friends and we clapped and sang while Roddy played.  And...it made me forget about how bad I was feeling.

(You can listen to Roddy play at the links below.  The first one was my recording of him at our party.  The second is from a performance at a Blues Festival.)

Roddy singing for us at the party.

Roddy singing Boogie Woogie Your Red Wagon


Roddy and Me

But back to the party.  Roddy came around 5:30 and helped us get things ready.  We had a grand time talking.  Soon, the others arrived and the party began.  Wonderful food, wine, and fellowship.


Around 12:30, I saw a little orange on my fingertips and knew it wouldn't be long before I turned into a pumpkin, so I went to bed, though the party continued on.  Still had the big concert Sunday night and I couldn't wait.  But first, I had to get some rest.  What a night!

PCQ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW . . . what fast hands!

Willamina

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Read it again, I added the video of him playing for me. And yes, he does have great piano hands.

Stephanie Hale said...

What a smart daughter you have. :)