Sunday, June 26, 2011

Remission - What does that mean exactly?




My daughter, Lauren, was with me when I was given the results from my last CT scans.  As I have told you before, it is difficult not to dwell on the "what ifs" as you wait for results that may abruptly alter your life even more than it already has been.  But, when Dr. White came in smiling, we knew it must be good.  "There's no new growth, everything is the same," she said.

With that, I exhaled.  She went on about my blood numbers, what we needed to do next and then in one of her statements mentioned, remission.  We talked about other options.  Lauren questioned her about the possible damage from the leaking port that had been removed in April.  "Obviously, not a good thing to happen," she said, "but, the treatment you are on can be absorbed by the tissue without major damage."  Somehow, that was not as comforting as I would have liked.

But on to other concerns. She said, "Remission!"  Remission is a term that doctors frequently use and it refers to the response of the cancer to the therapy. A complete remission means that the cancer has completely disappeared with the treatment.  I do not have complete remission and remission does not mean a patient is cured.  So...I am hesitant to even say that word cause I am still having chemo, and enduring all the side effects that come along with it.   Just means the cancer hasn't changed in the past few months and that is a very good thing.  Last year this time, the treatments were not working and I didn't know if I would see the beach this summer.  But I am still here!

Anyway, I am having a PET scan this week at the PCMH.  Not sure what day yet, seems it takes a while to get it cleared with insurance.  This test will tell us how much of my tumor is scar tissue and how much is "active".  I may be a candidate for a procedure at the Mayo Clinic in Florida, but we have a few tests we must do first.  I'll keep you posted.

But most important, it's summer.  Please enjoy every minute if only for ME!  When you look out your back door, really look at the birds, the lightning bugs, the sky, the leaves on the trees.  Don't sleep walk through life cause take it from me.....it's not the destination it is the journey.

PCQ

5 comments:

Stephanie Hale said...

Thank you Pat!

leebc said...

So grateful for that good news! Looking forward to seeing you at the beach. Love you and your attitude, C and B

Anonymous said...

Thankful for your good news.

I was talking to a friend on the cell phone years ago. I asked her if she could hear the birds; they were so loud. She said they were praising God.

Anonymous said...

Willamina

annie456 said...

Hope to see you soon!!