Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chick-Fil-A Cow

Funny how things can happen when you live out in the country.  Returned from Greenville having my chemo pump removed (YIPPEE!) and what do I see?  A cow in the pasture.  I just had lunch at Chick-Fil-A and I imagined the cow parachuting into my part of the world.



Thought it was a bit unusual, no one had mentioned bringing a cow, but the gate was closed as if it was placed there on purpose, so I called John.  He said the cow was out in the road by the mailbox when he came home for lunch and he was afraid it would be hit by a car so he herded it up the driveway and into the pasture and closed the gate.  Two of our neighbors happened by during the round up and they weren't aware of anyone with this type of cow, a Holstein hybrid, as Holsteins don't have horns, but they would check around.

After hanging up the phone, a car comes up in the driveway and beeps the horn.  Seems he has lost a cow.  He thanked me for locking it up and said he would be back in a bit with his trailer to take Chick home.




He came back in about an hour and armed with a bucket of feed and a lasso, headed out to collect his cow.  I could tell by the way he handled himself, this was not his first rodeo.  But the cow wasn't fooled, Chick seemed to like our pasture and proved to be elusive for quite a while.



Finally, he got Chick-Fil-A out of the pasture and near the trailer but you could tell Chick didn't like it one bit and let him know.



But as I said, wasn't his first rodeo and he soon had Chick in the trailer and safely on the way home.



Another day on the farm.  Never know what or who might wander up.  Thanks for my excitement today Chick!

PCQ

7 comments:

linda said...

I know i'm not a country person but I thought cows were female.Please educate me on this subject. Anyway, glad he or she got home.

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

You are correct, a female is called a cow or heifer (if she hasn't had a calf yet), but cow also fits any domesticated bovine. Could have called him a bull, but didn't really check all of his parts from a distance so I guess cow fits fine.

JoEllen said...

Too bad! I was hoping for a freezer full of steaks for the beach trip this summer! HA!

Stephanie Hale said...

Great pics!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Be sure to share with Syd and Avery, Steph.

annie456 said...

Davis will be with me in the AM. I just can not wait to share this story with him. He asked the other day if that "LADY" had sent any more STORIES!! I love it when he calls and says,"Annie, can we go on a VENTURE today"?? I just need to bring him to Snow Hill for a REAL "ADVENTURE"!!! Thanks!

lauren said...

excitement!