Monday, April 26, 2010

Put on a Happy Face

We all hear a lot about how important a positive outlook on life is. Think positively! It almost makes you afraid to acknowledge a bad day for fear that it somehow will set you back, that you gave in.  Maybe you didn't try hard enough.

I think sometimes there is pressure on those of us with cancer or any other affliction to present a positive face to the world. Give everything a thumbs up rather than another finger you would like to throw up sometimes. A lot of us feel we need to appear upbeat, courageous, positive, spiritually ready to take on anything....even when we may not feel those emotions.

Quite honestly, there are times that I will write something in this blog that is more positive than I really feel.  It was a bad day for me that particular day, but I know if I say too much, or complain, it is like a virus and I am spreading it on to you.  Then you feel bad, and what did I accomplish?

I think sometimes I do this to reassure people I love, and maybe even myself.

But one of the things we must do is be honest with ourselves, with those close to us, with our doctors, with each other. I think being honest is far more important than trying to present a positive face to the world.

Now, I'm not suggesting that I am going to wallow in depression or anger. I think a positive outlook is very, very, important. I just think we shouldn't pressure ourselves to be upbeat if that's not the way we feel.

Living with cancer and all the 'stuff' that goes along with it is tough, and can fill up your wagon real quick.  You still have good days and bad. Just like everyone else.  Hope you understand.

PCQ

6 comments:

Willamina said...

I understand and agree.

annie456 said...

Understood!! I had a bit of a scare last week-health wise- and I have even more respect for the attitude and courage you have shown us all. You feel what you FEEL and we all can deal with that!
See you Tues.

linda said...

I know what you are saying and agree.

Stephanie Hale said...

I don’t think you’d be normal if you’d didn’t have some down days Pat. I suppose the key is about finding a balance between acknowledging those feelings and not letting them get the best of you. Thank you for sharing your journey with us… your honesty, strength, sense of humor, quirky observations and mouth-watering food descriptions have been so nice to read. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I sign in as anonymous because I can't seem to figure out the other ways to do it. I say ditto to what all the others have said, except the one who had a bit of a scare because I didn't. Stephanie really said what I feel.
Great seeing you Sunday and keep on "keeping on" Susan H.

lauren said...

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Everybody has a fear face. . .and hiding it makes that fear stronger. Love you mom!