Saturday, July 10, 2010

Trip to Duke

Left the beach on Thursday morning in time to drive directly to Greenville to have my chemo pump removed.  John had an appointment at the same time, so it worked out perfectly for us to arrive around lunchtime.  After my pump was removed (insert sigh of relief here), and I picked up the forms needed for Duke, we drove home.  So much to do, unpack, get a few groceries in the house. tend to plants and pups....and with me being so tired from the chemo and drive, I wasn't much help.  John, as always, the worker bee, getting it all done.  What would I do without him?

Friday morning I awoke from a good night's sleep.  Something about getting the chemo pack off that allows for a better stage of sleep and boy did I need it.  We left for Durham at 8:45.  My appointment wasn't until 11 but I never know how many times I may have to stop, so we allowed plenty of time.  Luckily, the trip was uneventful and we were at Duke by 10:30.  John's sister, Barbara, has periodic appointments at Duke and suggested we use the valet parking.  Given the heat, the distance, and my lack of energy, the $7 we paid (divided by two, only $3.50) was a bargain!

The area we had to visit was very easy to find and I checked in.  Had my vitals taken and again, my blood pressure was higher than I wanted.  Apparently, one of the chemo drugs I take has that nasty side effect. And...I have shrunk some.  The nurse measured my height at 5'7 1/2".  But with all that I have going on, it is the least of my concerns.



Dr. Starodub came in after a short wait. He was a handsome young doctor, tall, slim, and had a strong eastern European accent We discussed my current situation and had a review of my care.  We talked about the upcoming cancer treatment trial.  He told us the drug company was moving a little slow with the colon cancer trial there at Duke and he wasn't sure when the beginning date would be.  We talked about the treatment I am currently on.  His thoughts on my course of treatment, stay with the current treatment for now.  I am only on the second round of chemo with the new drugs and we have no way of knowing if it is working until another scan is done after treatment number 4.  "It is a very good regimen," he said.  Of course, I will say, one of the drugs I am on was perfected at Duke. But his advice, stay on the current treatment.

To be considered for the trial, I would have to be off chemo for 28 days.  He didn't think that was wise to do until we know for sure the medications I am on are not working.  "Let's see how this treatment goes.  The trial is just another tool in our tool box and you have so many options.  But we don't want to dismiss what you are doing now to start something else until we know it is not working," he said.

We all agreed on his thoughts and said goodbye.  Soon I was checked out and the valet parking had our car ready in a few minutes.  Again, well worth the small fee.

So, we wait, wait to see if this works.  At least I know there are other options available, but the longer it takes to find a medication that can slap this cancer around, the more ground we lose.  And when you are dealing with cancer, it is like the camel's nose under the tent!

Wagon still rolling.

PCQ

3 comments:

Willamina said...

I've been waiting for your post. Now you have a road map for your wagon because knowing where you're going is good. I know you can get impatient waiting for scans and tests. My prayer is that this regime is kicking cancers butt.

annie456 said...

Well, now we know there is other options but maybe this regime is working!! I do hope so. I am praying that the scan youwill have after the next two treatments will show much improvement!! That would be SWEET!! I will be in touch soon!!

Stephanie Hale said...

"The trial is just another tool in our tool box and you have so many options." I love that part...glad to hear you're in good hands (including John's of course:), we are thinking of you every day. xoxo