Friday, July 30, 2010

What a Week!


We arrived at Dr. Brodish's office, late this afternoon, in the middle of a big, summer, thunderstorm.  All the plants around his office got a nice drink of water!  John soon had his drainage tube (from the lymph node surgery) removed/yanked out... (OUCH) and was given an A-OK on the incision to this point.  He will have the stitches removed next week.

Immediately afterwards, he had an appointment with Dr. Lee for a review of the MRI he had Monday and the biopsy results.  Thankfully, the scan of his head was clear.  That is a very good thing.  I had been so focused on his chest and lymph node that I didn't even think about it being anywhere else.  That's one of the fun things about cancer, it's like being in the Fright House at the fair.  Just when you least expect it, something else jumps out in front of you and yells, "BOO".  Just like the brain scan.....didn't know I even needed to be worrying about that.

The biopsy confirmed Dr. Lee's initial diagnosis, non small cell adenocarcinoma, or lung cancer.  There are many types of lung cancer.  This one is most always caused by smoking or second hand smoke.  I am not going to lecture on this, but I can't let the opportunity pass without saying, if someone loves you...please don't smoke.

I am so proud of John, he stopped smoking three years ago on my birthday.  It was the best present he ever gave me.  Who knows, if he hadn't stopped then, this could have happened even sooner.

Anyway, still have to get a PET scan done and it looks as if I might have to tangle with the insurance company over approval for a few other things he needs.  With all we have going on, it sure would be nice not having to deal with some of those issues.  But, I'll get that taken care of too.

On another note, Wednesday night, Greene County had a young law enforcement officer shot and killed during a call to a domestic dispute.  The officer was 31 years old and had two young children.  His daughter attends Greene County Schools.  Our wonderful staff has already gotten some things in place to help the family and provide a safety net for her when she returns to school.  Please pray for this young man's family, friends, and coworkers that they find peace.

Every day is a gift.

PCQ  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two need to behave! I'm concerned for the insurance company that you might have to tangle with, they don't even know... Susan Hardison

Anonymous said...

I agree with Susan.
Be a bulldog if you have to.

annie456 said...

YOu never quit amazing me with your strength!! I have said it before but I will say it again-YOU are one strong lady!!! AS Christopher Robin said to Pooh," You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and SMARTER that you think!!!!