Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday Harold!


Harold's birthday is today.  He's a 1920 model, so today is a big birthday.  I'm thinking that he will get more birthday wishes than I would even imagine receiving, cause Harold's special.

He is a UNC graduate, though that was interrupted by WWII.  He loves to use that as a source of gentle irritation to John (and me), as we both went to NC State.

One of my favorite Harold stories occurred a few years ago when our daughter, Lauren, who also graduated from UNC, garnered a summer scholarship to travel in Europe.  She was ever so excited telling us about the places she would go and the things she would see.  Harold sat quietly and listened to her.  After a bit, he said, "Lauren, I had the same opportunity when I was your age."  Lauren looked at him quite surprised and said, "You got a free trip to Europe Harold?"  Without missing a beat, he said, "I certainly did, and they were kind enough to give me a backpack and a rifle, too."

John and I are lucky enough to have Harold as a dear friend.  When I look back, it is hard to tell when we realized we loved him so much.  It just happened, and anyone that knows Harold can understand.....cause he is special.

Happy Birthday Harold!

PCQ

No comments: