Wednesday, September 22, 2010

PCMH

It's been another adventure.  John started feeling bad late last Friday and when I saw him sit down outside Saturday night to cook our steak on the grill, I knew it was really bad.

When he came in, I said, "Do you want to go to the hospital tonight, or wait till morning?"  The ER is never a fun place to be, but Saturday nights are usually more exciting and crowded.  But, in thinking through the process, I remembered, East Carolina didn't have a home football game,  they were playing at Virginia Tech, so that would certainly lower activity in the emergency area.

We had a wonderful dinner of steak, sweet potatoes, and salad, but it didn't appeal to John, he wasn't feeling well and only ate a few bites.  I cleaned the dishes and John immediately went and laid down on the couch.  In a few minutes, I joined him.  "What's the plan?" I said.

"We'll go in the morning if I am not better," he said.

It was a fitful night for him...and me.  He couldn't get comfortable and the coughing kept me awake. Sunday morning, he was not better and ready to get something done.  John called his doctor and was told to head to the ER, so as we arrived at the emergency room around 10 that morning and after an X-Ray, we soon had the answer, fluid had collected under his left lung and was causing compression.  It would have to be removed, but that wouldn't be done till Monday.  So off to a room for the wait.

We did have a few fun moments in the ER, the daughter of friends from Person County, was on duty and she entertained us with her antics.  So wonderful to see her grown up and a fine nurse.

Monday, John was wheeled out to ultrasound, where they located the best place to punch a hole in him and drain the annoying fluid.  While still awake and wanting to watch what was being done, they removed 1.7 liters of fluid.  He immediately felt better, but the doctor told him he would continue to breathe better as our lungs will start to grow together when fluid causes compression.  Uhmmmm...never thought about that.  So we wait for things to get back to normal.

The hospital stay was made much better with help from our friend, George, who works there, and, my red headed girlfriend Watusi.  She was kind enough to bring lunch and sit with me while John was having the fluid removed.

We are so thankful that it was something that could be repaired.  Now, our next challenge was to get checked out of the hospital first thing Tuesday morning so we can make our much anticipated appointment with Dr. Socinski in Chapel Hill.....the wagon keeps rollin'.

PCQ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad John got the the hospital before you had to roll him out in a computer chair.

I just got back from Person County. Richard had gall bladder surgery Monday so I stayed in Roxboro a few days. The doctor gave him a DVD of the surgery so that was our afternoon movie. The stone was about the size of a large pecan.

Willamina said...

i can't ever remember how to post a comment with my name so it won't be anonymous. I'll try again.