Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sore Throat

There's an old saying, "If you want to get your mind off your problems, just put on a pair of shoes that hurt your feet."

I might add to the part about getting your mind off your problems....a sore throat.  Now, let me say, I've had plenty of sore throats before, strep, colds, etc. but nothing like this. I'm talking really, really, sore;  hurts to open your mouth sore.  I know it was listed as one of the many side effects from the chemo treatment, but I was really more worried about nausea, upset stomach, and a few other things.  I've had those, but this throat issue has trumped all of that.  

It started on Saturday, just a little sore with tiny red bumps all inside, by Sunday, it was really bad.  John pulled out the flashlight and inspected it.  Yep, red throat, white places on my tongue and all around the back and the little hangy thing in the back was swollen too.  So, when Monday rolled around and I wasn't any better, I decided it was time to call the doctor.  The confusing thing about getting these side effects is, you don't know if it is from the treatments or, maybe you're really sick from something else.  After taking my temperature and coming to the conclusion it is probably the meds, I called.  

Picked up the "Magic Mouthwash" prescription later that day.  It helps some, but I'm still having trouble talking and swallowing (feels like sand spurs going down).  So, I am trying to talk as little as possible and hoping it will ease off soon.

Yep, sure got my mind off the other problems I have.

PCQ

5 comments:

lauren said...

LOVE YOU BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

I like your description of your throat...."little hangy thing". Sorry about your throat. I had sore mouth but it didn't affect my throat and used the magic mouthwash.
How often are you getting the new chemo regime? Stay strong.

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Yeah, I know the little hangy thing has a name but I was too lazy to look it up. And thanks to all who suggested I gargle with salt water and baking soda. Unfortunately, I have been using that and though it helped with my first chemo drugs, it didn't help with this group. Boy, this one is different!

I will be having the new regime every other week, just like before. Thanks for asking.

Stephanie Hale said...

Alrighty, I'm sending up a new prayer and it goes like this... "Give Aunt Patsy a BREAK, ok??!!" :)

annie456 said...

So sorry!! There is a bad virus going around and a bad sore throat is part of it. My Daughter-in-law just got over it!! Hope the "Magic" helps!! Thinking of you and hope your beach trip it the greatest!! Salt water will cure all, they say!!!!