Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tornado

You can see from the photos in the previous post, we had a wonderful time in the Bahamas.  But, Saturday, we saw the news and realized there was bad weather back home.

Before I left, I had secured the chairs and other objects that may be blown around by the wind, little did I know what was to come.  Eastern NC was being pounded by storms, so much so, it was making the news on CNN and the Weather Channel.  Having lived in NC all of my life, I know the dangers associated with these storms.  There is really nothing you can do but watch the skies and be ready.

Of course I was worried, the news was focusing on our area of NC.  There had already been a tornado in Sanford and the Lowes Home Improvement store was destroyed, but hopefully, the worst of it was over.  So, we went to dinner and had a lovely time.

After dinner, my daughter, Meredith received a text alerting us there was trouble near Snow Hill.  Phone service had been really difficult for us and very expensive, so most were not using our phones.  But maybe I did need to check on things so I went to my room.  The television was still on the Weather Channel and I saw the devastation.  It was too close so I sent a text to a neighbor, "Just saw there were tornadoes in Snow Hill, are you okay?  Is my house okay?"  She replied immediately, "You need to call Tommy, he's been trying to reach you."  As soon as I read that, my heart began to pound.  Tommy helps me with our farm and has been wonderful to me since John passed away.  He looks after my pups when I am away or not feeling well and is always checking things for me.  "What's wrong...is my house okay?" I typed.  "You need to call Tommy!  Can I call you now?"

As soon as I saw that, tears welled up in my eyes.  I knew it wasn't good, but how bad was it?  The Weather Channel was then showing photos of the Greene County Middle School....it was destroyed, buses were moved, and I could see the path of the tornado, headed right toward my house which is separated by a stand of trees but right behind the middle school.

The phone rang.  "Is my house okay?"  "There's been some damage to the roof and there are lots of trees down," she said.  "You need to call Tommy, he checked on it but there are so many trees down, I'm not sure what was damaged."

It was getting late but I had to know what was going on so I started making more calls.  Lots of people had tried to check on me, but they couldn't get to my house.  Too many buildings or trees in the road.  Finally, I got through to our superintendent of schools, yes, it was true, the school was destroyed.  He had tried to check on my house too, but couldn't get through.  "Your house is still there, I could see it, but couldn't get through because of all the debris.  I did call Rick, your neighbor and he said the same thing.  House is still there but a lot of trees down. Think there is damage to the roof, but we can see the house."  By then I was in tears.  What was I going to do, I needed to be home.  What about my pups, the horses, my chickens?  He promised me he would get there some how in the morning to check for me so we hung up.  As you can imagine, all sorts of thoughts were going through my head and most of them were not good.  I went downstairs to share the news.

By early morning, calls were coming in with news.  My house was still there, no electricity, trees down, roof scuffed up pretty bad, but it was still there.  Friends had already come in to clear the way to the house.  My pups were okay.  Not much I could do but stay on schedule to get home that day and start work.

Amazing how the pendulum of life can swing so quickly. One minute you can be on top of the world, the next......  My wagon load was getting ready to be real full.

PCQ

  

No comments: