Thursday, February 17, 2011

MRI and CT Scan

I had an MRI and CT scan Wednesday.  Had to be there an hour before to drink the contrast dye that lights up cancer cells.  Two big Super Size cups of yummy stuff!  I always worry about drinking all of that and then having to crawl in the "tube" and be still for 45 minutes while it does its magic.

Today was different.  Been having mucho trouble with my left wing and shoulder.... and didn't think about how it would affect the scans.  But did it ever.  First complication, the nurse had trouble getting the IV in my arm and had to put it in my left arm, which is always the easiest to find a vein.  But, that proved to be problematic as I had to put that arm up over my head so dye can be given during the CT scan.  Ooops, my left arm was not happy at all, it really hurts to lift it above my head.  Thankfully, CT scans don't last but a few minutes and are not confining.  Just take a deep breath and slide you through the donut a few times, and it is over.

Not so easy with MRIs.  There is the issue of the tube.  (see my post about claustrophobia and the St. Louis Arch)  Usually, the cloth over my eyes, jazz music playing, works.  I didn't factor in the part about my shoulder and wing not being happy, really, really, not happy.  During past scans, I was able to at least doze off for a few minutes.  Didn't happen today.  I could not get comfortable and of course, you can't move once the scan begins.  The stress of not being comfortable just amplified the fact I was strapped into a tiny tube and couldn't move.  I had to really dig deep to find control and not scream, "Get me out of here."

I made it, but barely!  Did I say I was sweating, too?  Was not a good day for me.

The results will be available at my next chemo treatment on March 1st.  I'll update you then.  And yes, glad you asked, anyone who has tests always worries till you get the results.  If there wasn't a question, we wouldn't be having a test.

PCQ

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hated getting in that pipe (MRI). Will be praying for good results.
Willamina

Stephanie Hale said...

You are the definition of a strong fighter Aunt Pat. As always, praying for you and sending lots of love. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Worrying with you. Wish you didn't have that bum shoulder! jwh

annie456 said...

Not a fun day!!! I will be praying for good results!!!