Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Update

I had my 15th treatment today on the third regimen of chemo drugs.  Don't remember how many I had on the second group, but it didn't work, so I focus on this one.

My oncologist was back from his visit to India for a family wedding.  I missed him.  We talked about his trip and I told him I had a friend that went to the Woodstock boarding school in India. Just saw that it was listed on CNN as one of the top ten in the world.

"His family must be wealthy," he said.  "Actually, they were missionaries and I think the school has provisions for those that are in mission work.  His father was a foremost authority on leprosy and worked with lepers.  If you Google it, his name comes up," I said.

"My family left India when I was 12 years old.  Going back is very difficult, even to visit.  It is so hard to see all the disparities," he remarked.  We talked about Egypt and other world events, and, as nice as it was to chat....that was not my reason for being there.

I had my list of "ailments" from chemo; skin peeling off my hands and feet, dry mouth....I mean really dry mouth, trouble with nose bleeds, no energy, queasiness, hiccups, fingernails breaking, etc.  I don't do it to complain, that serves no purpose, he has to know how the drugs are affecting me so the dosage can be adjusted if needed.

Gave him the 411 on my shoulder saga.  It is doing better, albeit slowly. After visiting my PCP and an orthopedist, I was diagnosed as having a tendon impingement that in turn has caused my bursa to become inflamed, which in turn has caused my shoulder muscles to go..OUCH and tighten up.  Oh yeah, she gave me a nice little cortisone shot in my shoulder.  Getting old is not for wimps.

I finally broke down and visited my Primary Care Physician week before last.  He had taken X-Rays and gave me prednisone and a muscle relaxer.  It helped some, but I didn't like taking the muscle relaxer, it made me feel lethargic and drowsy.  The prednisone turned me into an eating machine.  I even woke up during the night hungry.  Never done that before, so I was a little anxious when the nurse asked me to "weigh in" today.  Didn't know if "Porky" would have to go the truck scales down the road!  But, to my amazement, I had only gained one pound.  Whew.

Dr. Mahajan will schedule my scans in a few weeks and it was time for a mammogram also.  If the scans show the tumor is being maintained, I will begin a different treatment plan.  We'll take out one of the three chemo drugs and go to every other week again.  Less drugs, but more frequently.  I have been on three week intervals for the last two months.  The drug that will be removed for a short while is the one that makes me so tired and has the most negative side effects.  I must allow time for my body to recover.  It is a delicate balance.

We will do that....that is...if there is no new growth.  If things have changed, it is a whole new ballgame.

Wagon still rolling with a little more bacon.
PCQ


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pounds can add up quick. I still have mine from those ice cream sandwiches during the night. I had a steroid along with taxol, my last drug. I wish I knew an easy way to get those pounds off.
Keep the wagon rollin.....rollin.
Willamina

Stephanie Hale said...

Love you Pat. <3

annie456@embarqmail.com said...

Love you and think of you EVERYDAY!! Praying for no growth and no new tumors!!Hope to see you soon!