Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Weekend

Kay, my party-in-a-box friend, had called a few weeks back and invited me to Virginia to visit with her.  There was a concert that Sunday night and we could make it a long Presidents Day weekend.  Sounded good to me!  She and her husband, Bill are always the perfect hosts and I was between treatments, so I agreed to come.

As the date got closer, I realized it would be the first time I had driven that far alone.  Not that I am afraid to venture out by myself, just didn't know if I was physically able to handle it.  Still recovering from the rotary cuff problems and the chemo treatments in general....I just didn't know how it would go.

Got there okay.  Physically, it was not a problem, but emotionally, it was challenging.  This was the first time I had visited them since John and I went there last July.  When we found out about his cancer....he wanted to go somewhere, just get away, and Kay and Bill were his safe haven.

So every turn I took, every landmark I passed, reminded me of that trip.  It was hard, but it was a trip I had to take.

Friday night we had a lovely dinner and just caught up on everything.  So much going on and we talked till it was time for bed. Of course, during the talks, Kay was receiving text messages from Mary, her daughter, and Mary's husband Jake.  They were flying in from NYC and Mary kept us informed of her progress.  "We've made it to the airport." "We're on the plane."  "We're leaving now." Was sweet to follow her via texting.  I was worried about her because it was windy outside.  Wind and planes don't go together real well.  But she made it home that night....though it was a little bumpy.

Kay had a big weekend planned and the drive had me tired, so bedtime came early.

Saturday morning we were up early and getting everything ready for the dinner party she had planned that night.  So much to do and we had to drive into town to pick up Mary.  She had spent the night in Richmond with friends since the flight was late.


Needless to say, everything Kay and I do is an adventure.  We saw this guy by the road working on a sign.  Kay told me he was, Happy, the artist.  Seems he is a local legend and has been around Richmond for a long time.  His dog, a Beagle named God (dog spelled backwards he said), had red rickrack around his neck for a collar, was there with him.

 His van, pictured below, initially got my attention, but after pulling in to take a photo, we saw Happy.

His van was very interesting and had several thoughtful phrases.  
The one above says, 
"Bless you for being in my life, just by reading this, you have joined us together -
 and bless the Magic Marker - 
AND bless the guy that invented the Alphabet. 
AND bless all the teachers that taught us to read.  
AMEN"


It was only 3 p.m. on Saturday afternoon and we had already had an exciting day.  Next, home to get ready for the dinner party.  What a night it was to be!

PCQ

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this entry! Would love to hear more about your evening... hint hint!! :)

Unknown said...

Oops... not Adam... it's Sara...

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Your wish is my command...Adam...I mean Sara! Hope you and baby boy Levon are spectacular!