Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Glowing in the Dark















My first radiation treatment was Monday and it had already been a very long and stressful day. Didn't really need to add this to the list for the day, but that was where this wagon had to be pulled and will continue to be pulled for the next month every day.

Here's a photo of the machine....with me in it. It's sort of like being abducted by aliens. The lights go out, there are red laser beams all around and the machine starts to hum. The arms on each side align around you and it clicks and beeps and pulses and rotates. During the rotation around me, it stops and makes a loud noise as the radiation is dispensed. It stops in 5 different places ten times for around 30 seconds each time. I try to think good thoughts about it seeking and destroying but I know it also destroys good stuff too.

As I was leaving the radiation room today, the lady getting ready to go in looked very frightened. I smiled at her and said, "I left the light on for you." She gave me a vague smile and said, "I feel like I'm walking into the execution chamber."

2 comments:

annie456 said...

Remember, It is easy to see life backwards BUT we must LIVE it forwards!! All will be fine!!1
Hang in there! Love you!
Annie

r. brooke priddy said...

it is so important to share your experience - thank you for your story, your strength and clarity are my muses tonight.
all my love,
lauren's friend, brooke