Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Questions on Pain

I have tried to give good updates on my walk down this road. It was my intention to keep you informed of the facts, maybe laugh with me and sometimes even cry with me. One thing I didn't want to do was complain.

Pain has been my constant companion, there with every beat of my heart. Sometimes more than other times, but always there. Tuesday must have been "Let's Call Pat Day", and I thank all of you that did. But first question from everyone, "how's the pain, you haven't mentioned it on the blog lately?"

Answer: The pain is still here. I guess as long as those nasty tentacles are wrapped around my sciatic nerve I will continue to have it. Is it better? I think so. Maybe it is from your prayers, maybe I have just gotten conditioned to it, or maybe I am managing the medications better, pick one or all.

Sometimes I close my eyes and try to imagine the growth as a wet sponge that I take in my hand and squeeze tightly, mentally watching the fluid drip out and along with it the life blood of this growth. Other times, I imagine the pain as a brush fire and I mentally spray the hot flames with water till there is nothing but smoke rising. Does it help? I think so. At least it gives me a way to be in control for those few minutes.

Our minds are so powerful, why couldn't it work?

No comments: