Friday, September 25, 2009

MRIs - St Louis Arch - Claustrophobia


Went for my MRI today at 1:15. I had this procedure before but this time it was site specific. Took longer than expected. Didn't get out till after 3.

Getting the MRI brings on concerns of its own. Hence, the association with the St. Louis Gateway Arch in the title.

My daughter teaches at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, and we are very proud of her. It is a fine school and they are very lucky to have her.

A few months back, while visiting, we decided to go up in the arch and take in the view. It was late in the day and we enjoyed the museum at the base and then queued up for our ride to the top. The arch was built in the 60s and quite a sight to behold, but to get to the top, you must ride in a little "pod car" that holds 5 people...very tightly. You get in the very small pod and the door closes and locks behind you. There is only one small window and after a bit, the pod shakes and you start the jerky slow ride to the top.

I never had any inkling that I might be claustrophobic until the door closed that day and I realized I couldn't get out till we arrived at the top. I started sweating, felt my stomach doing flips, and hard as I could tried to focus my thoughts on other things. After a longer time than I wanted, we reached the top and I was out...I could breath again.

The top of the arch had a small viewing area with tiny windows looking out over the mighty Mississippi and the city of St. Louis. The photo I posted shows Busch Stadium, home to the St. Louis Cardinals. As wonderful as the sunset and view was that day, all I could think about was....."I will have to get back in that POD to get out of here!" More sweating. After a few minutes we headed back down. Yes, I made it, but not without more sweat and very concentrated, focused thoughts and tightly closed eyes.

Arch?? Been there, done that....check that off the Bucket List! Hadn't thought much more about it till this summer, I was talking to a colleague and mentioned St. Louis. First thing he asked was, "did you go up in the arch?" I could tell by the way he asked, it might have been traumatic for him too. We both shared our stories, laughed and said, "Never again".

A few weeks later, sitting on the beach, the arch came up again, same thing....been there done that, won't do that again!

All of this brings me to the MRI. When I called to make the appointment, they asked if I was claustrophobic and may need medication. I told them I wasn't sure but I had a recent "episode" in the St. Louis Arch and it may be good to have something, just in case. The lady on the other end of the line said, "If you only knew how many people mentioned the St. Louis Arch". Anyway, I made it through the MRI, but it sure helped to have soothing jazz music, my eyes covered, and cool air blowing through.

Got copies of the MRI and X-Rays to take to Dr. Sharts for our Monday appointment. Glad that is over...been there done that, got the pictures!

Here's a photo of the POD....I mean MRI!

1 comment:

linda said...

I have been there too. Good luck Monday. Linda