Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lunch with Mama



Had lunch with my mother on Friday.  And I went by myself.  First time I have driven any farther than Greenville alone since last July.  I was okay, though probably not something I should do very often given my current situation, but I made it.  Having been so limited in what I am able to do, each new independent step is greeted with a smile of success.  Never been too many things I couldn't do if I wanted them badly enough, but this has been different and I don't accept "no" real well.  Often I am tempted to accept an invitation by friends, but ultimately realize that I may be able to do it, but I will be miserable the entire time.  So I weigh each opportunity and make a decision.

My mother, who celebrated her 80th birthday in November and retired from Johnson & Johnson many years ago, still works part time making flower arrangements at Carolina Pottery in Smithfield. She says it's like being with family there.  And they are so very kind to her.  Always checking on her, offering love and support when she has been sick, and making her feel wanted.  And isn't that what we all need?  So, if you buy a flower arrangement there, it just may have a little of my mama's love in it.

While waiting for Mom to finish up, I walked around the Pottery for a bit looking at all the stuff I really don't need but would like to have.  January and February are their slowest months they tell me and they use that time to rearrange and restock for Spring.  My personal decision tree for whether I really want something comes down to two things; how long did I have to work to pay for it and would I rather have the money or the object.  Sometimes the decision is easy, sometimes not.

We decided to have lunch at Ruby Tuesdays, just down from the Pottery, because Mama wanted a baked potato and they have good ones.  But once she got there, the baby back ribs were calling her so we split a rack, ordered an extra potato and drank enough sweet tea to float a boat.  But it was ever so good.  We talked and ate and caught up on all the family and friends.

One of her friends has a new beau, "He's a Yankee", she said, as only a Southern woman would say it.  Another one of her friends is under going cancer treatments and she is distressed about that.  We talked about my upcoming surgery and being a mother, she wanted to know if I have proper bed clothes, robes and the like....and did I need anything?  A wonderful mother is always a mother, no matter how old their children are.  And I am so very thankful to have such a caring mother, wanting to know what she can do to help.  Oh how I wish all children, young and old, could be blessed with that love.

Soon it was time to go.  Snow was predicted and we were both tired and ready to get safely home before the Friday work traffic makes driving even more stressful.

Before leaving, I returned the Pyrex dish she left with me at Thanksgiving, full of her wonderful sweet potato casserole that I adore.  In it I had placed a large slice of coconut-pineapple pie a dear friend had brought the day before.  Mama loves coconut and it was a delicious pie to share with her.   We hugged and said good-bye one more time.

It was a good day.

PCQ

No comments: