Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Sweater

Getting ready for church Sunday morning, I put on my favorite Christmas sweater, combed my hair and went looking for my gloves.  Since, having the chemo and radiation, my little fingers stay ever so cold.  John has been a sweetheart and will hold them and rub them for me when we are out to get better circulation and to just help keep them warm.

As I walked through the kitchen, Bill Geist of CBS Sunday Morning was on.  And he was talking about Christmas sweaters.  To my horror, the whole segment was making 'fun' of Christmas sweaters....just like the one I had on.  Please understand, I know there is a generation difference and most young folks don't wear Christmas sweaters.  I even know my daughter's boyfriend, Jake, hosts an "Ugly Christmas Sweater Party", but that is for really ugly sweaters, not cute ones like mine.

But maybe not!

Bill Geist was interviewing two young men who have a website, www.uglysweaterstore.com.  They peruse second hand clothing stores and buy Christmas sweaters for their website. Said teachers are usually a gold mine for Christmas sweaters.  Their website gives instructions on how to have an Ugly Christmas Sweater party....even offering food suggestions and games to play.

As they were talking, Geist asked what made a truly "good" ugly Christmas sweater?  Bells, bows, sown on beads, dangly things....I looked down at my sweater.  I had all of that, a little bell, nice dangling candy cane, silver and gold bows, shiny beads.  I was horrified, he had just described my really cute Christmas sweater.  I looked at John....he just smiled and said, "It looks cute on you, baby."


I put on my long coat and pulled it tight over my sweater, grabbed my gloves and left for church.  When I got home and took off my sweater and put it on the top shelf in my closet.  Guess I'll never look at it the same way again.

Merry Christmas!
PCQ

11 comments:

Unknown said...

this post made me guffaw to no end!!!

Pittsburgh Web Design said...

It's not what you wear, It's how you wear it. ;-) I have seen you wear Christmas sweaters before - they look so cute on you.

I love wearing Christmas sweaters and holiday oriented gear, but for my generation, it is taboo... hence the x-mas sweater party. We can get all done up in x-mas gear and not feel silly. Sure x-mas sweaters are kinda hokey, but so is much of the other decorative ephemera attached to the holiday. It is part of the charm... So wear your Christmas sweaters proudly. You look great in them!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...you are just saying that so I'll wear it again and you can both snicker and point. I know how it works! Can't pull a Christmas sweater over my eyes.

annie456 said...

As a retired School teacher, I have TRIED to put away--for good-- the watermelon earrings and matching blouse, the numerous Halloween shirts, sweaters, earrings, St. Patrick;s Day,Easter, EVEN-- May Day outfits--BUT never- no never will I stop wearing my Christmas garb!!!! You go girl and wear it ever so proud!!
We ARE the Christmas GALS!!!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Got this email from my friend, Kathy. Thought it would be a good addition to the other comments.

"Bet that man is a Yankee!!! No southern gentleman would think of knocking such a beautiful display of holiday cheer. Get that sweater off the top shelf and wear it with pride!!!! Merry Christmas Love you, Kathy"

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Annie....you didn't throw away your watermelon earrings did you? Please tell me it's not so!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Email from my friend Susan who is a nurse:

We're wearing "tacky Christmas sweaters or sweatshirts" to work tomorrow. Your blog was right on target. I personally liked a lot of the sweaters and vests on the video. Enjoy the holidays!

Stephanie Hale said...

I love Bill Geist. And if you love your ugly sweater, wear it with pride!!

Stephanie Hale said...

One other memory... last year we had an 'ugly sweater day' planned at work. Sadly, the night before that, Pete passed away. As I looked through my Christmas gear the next morning for work, I found an angel-themed sweater... complete with dogs and cats, decked out in angel wings and halos, perched on top of fluffy white clouds. I do miss that dog.

annie456 said...

This was a hit BLOG!! SOUNDS like we need an"ugly Christmas Sweater " Party next year!!!!!!

Susan Kearney said...

hahaha - -you are sooo funny!!! and a great writer!!! Love reading your blog. We have been praying so hard for you. Love you all, Susan Kearney