Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Update

Went for a check up today with Dr. Ballenger, my radiologist.  It has been one month since I finished my radiation and chemotherapy. Unfortunately, her waiting room was still full of people needing radiation.

She seemed pleased with my progress.   I certainly am too.  I measure progress by the tasks that I am able to do now, without pain.  I am still weak and takes me longer to do things, but I am improving.

So, here's where we are; still having some pain, but continue to see a reduction in amount of medication needed.

Sleep still sketchy, I don't have any problem going to sleep, it is staying asleep that presents the challenge.  The nerves in my right leg cause me to wake up.  I guess that is due to the growth on the S2 nerve.  The only way I can describe what I feel, I think it is probably like Restless Leg Syndrome.  I can't seem to get my leg in any position that will allow me to keep it still.  I just have to move it.  Doesn't hurt, just can't keep it in one place.  So as not to wake John, I usually get out of bed and walk around, do a few exercises, and hope it goes away.  But it certainly disrupts my sleep patterns.

I still have numbness from the growth and that has not changed.  The area still covers the inside of my right leg front to back and a triangular patch down the inside of my leg almost to the knee.  That has not changed.  My oncologist said some of the feeling there may return, but we can't be sure.

The radiation therapy is still causing pain in my butt.  It is not as red now, but still tender.  But....I can tell you it is NOT anywhere near what it was, burning and stinging has diminished and that is very good.  The radiation also made my insides sore.  That has improved too, but I still am cautious about sitting down quickly, no running/jogging, or fast moves!

Tummy still not happy, but the doctors say that may not change.  Radiation focused on the abdomen damages the lining of the intestines.  Oh well.

Taste has returned.  Smell seems to be back.  But I still can't play the piano!

So, let's look at how far I have come; I can walk without limping, sit down comfortably.  Before, nothing no where, no how, was comfortable and I had to have my "marshmallow cushion" of about 6 inches of foam to sit and sleep.  Pain has been reduced, so less meds, less foggy feeling.

I have an appointment with the reconstructive surgeon on Monday, Dr. Zeri.  The following week, I meet with the lead surgeon, Dr. Brillant, and maybe a surgery date will be given at that time.

So many things going on, but thankfully, I feel better and my ability to enjoy life has improved.  There for a while, there was not much joy in my life.  Am I where I would like to be?  Heck no!  Still tired, weak, and wishing desperately for this cancerous growth to be destroyed with as little long term damage to my body as possible.

But, I continue to focus on the good...no... GREAT things in my life.  How blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband that is constantly monitoring my health, making sure I get my rest, and doing anything he can to make my life better.

And if I could pick anybody in the world that I wanted to help me pull this wagon, he's the one.  As the song goes, "Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough, to keep me from getting to you," that's my John, nothing will stop him if he sees something needs to be done for me.

PCQ

3 comments:

annie456 said...

Well, you are a very lucky lady to have that JQ. He is a Prince of a fellow!! AND, he is very lucky to have you!! Isn't it great that it works out that way?? Think of you daily, pray for you daily, and KNOW in my heart of hearts, your wagon will be less and less loaded as we go forward!!! Thanks for the update!!!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Thanks Annie...you are the best! And soooo glad you are on my "wagon patrol".

Pittsburgh Web Design said...

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Can't wait to get down there and see you all.

When I was having problems with my cyatic, it really helped to put a pillow between my knees. I awould also stretch before bed and in the morning. Have you tried a yoga ball. I would sit at the computer a few times a day for about 15 minutes at a time on the yoga ball. Just sitting and actively keeping your balance with your spine aligned vertically can stretch and exercise those muscles in a very low impact way. I don't know if it will help, but those are the techniques that I used and it really did work for me, coupled with regular walks and no sitting for more than an hour at a time without getting up for a stretch.