Sunday, November 8, 2009

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

What a beautiful day.  Sundays, the past few weeks, have been the day my body started to feel some better after no treatment on Saturday.  But Sunday is followed by Monday, and I knew what was coming the next day.  Reminds me of when I was little and I was sick.  Medicine, when I was young, didn't taste good at all. I hated to take medicine and was sometimes a little difficult to work with, just ask my mother.

Going for radiation and chemo treatments ranks right up there with taking bad medicine and getting shots. You know you have to do it, you just don't like it one bit.  Well, today, I didn't have to worry about it.  And even though it was a beautiful day, it was even sweeter knowing I didn't have to walk into the radiation chamber the next day.  But I would have walked right in if I had to.

Our minister, Martin, spoke to us on attitude today.  When I heard him speak his words, though focused on our walk with God, reminded me, that my attitude, during this journey is so important as well.  So many times  my mind wants to cross over to the dark side and dwell on feeling sorry for myself.  But I must always remember, as Martin said, "Attitude, attitude, attitude!"

So many good things to enjoy this weekend!  John keeps saying, "The Wolfpack won!"  They have had a little dry spell so he was happy and surprised, though he said the only reason we won was because the time ran out and the other team didn't have time to beat us!

John found a copper pig on Craigslist a few days ago.  It was down near the beach so we called our friend, George, in Atlantic Beach and asked him to pick it up for us.  He brought it by and it is wonderful.




On Saturday, we put in on the top of my Las Vegas bottle tree.  That will be a another blog on bottle trees.

After church, we had BLTs.  My tomato plants have outdone themselves this year.  It's November, and I am still picking red, ripe tomatoes off my vines.  Global warming I guess, thanks Al Gore.

Made cookies this afternoon.  My daughter, Meredith, will be featured in an article on cookie swaps with the top five chefs in the Hampton Roads area, which includes, Va. Bch, Norfolk, Chesapeake, etc. She asked for the recipe we used when she was growing up.  It was my mother's cookie recipe and I went digging through my recipe box to find it.  I had written a date on bottom of November 28, 1978.  That was the year after she was born.  Guess we were at my mom's for Thanksgiving and I asked her to write it down.  It's a wonderful sugar cookie recipe that we always made when I was growing up.  It was a tradition to make them when "The Wizard of Oz" came on.  Remember in the old days, Wiz of Oz only came on once a year, and if you missed it, you had to wait till next year to be scared to death by the flying monkeys.  My how times have changed.   But it got me in the mood for cookies.


I had also emailed Katie, a friend of ours, to ask for her mother's cookie recipe.  Her mom's cookies are to die for and she sends a tin of them to the beach each summer with Katie.  We have to allow limited access to them or they would be gone in a flash, so somebody hides them under my bed.  Katie, was kind enough to share her mother's recipe with me and I sent it on to Meredith too.

Cookies turned out good....not as good as Katie's mom's....but good.  Maybe, it is just me.  My taste is still subdued by the chemotherapy.  John said they were good....but not as good as Katie's mom's.  Guess it will take a little more refining, but as I write this, he has a handful munching.  Don't think they will go to waste.

PCQ

3 comments:

linda said...

Hope you really enjoy Monday.
You deserve it.

annie456 said...

Hey!! Been in Flordia and was unable to pull up your Blog. So, glad to get back and catch up. Hope this was a GREAT Monday for you. You certainaly deserved one!!

barefoot14 said...

November 28, 1978 was my 28th birthday. You forgot??? Love ya anyway.