Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Saints' Day and Homecoming








Today is All Saints' Day, the first Sunday after Pentecost, a day we celebrate in our church.  I have always enjoyed this day because it allows me to remember those that have made a Christian path for me and others, especially those in our church.  Our new pastor, Martin, did a fine job of summarizing the importance of this day and why we, as a church family, acknowledge it.  


As part of the celebration, members of our church are asked to bring flowers and after coming forward for communion, we place our flowers in what will become a large bouquet of love and remembrance.  I took several long stems from my wonderfully fragrant rosemary bush.  You can see one of them in the bottom left corner of the photo.  The rosemary is symbolic, as it not only smells wonderful when touched, it lingers and will be on your hands and in the air long after it has touched you.  Just like people we love.   Then the names of those that died in the past year was read and the bell tolls for them.  The final name read today was my buddy, Jerry Wayne Sandusky.  Tears came soon. (Please read my blog, "The Day the Music Died" for more on Jerry Wayne.)


After our church service, we had our annual Homecoming and the food was wonderful.  As an extra treat, Harold, our dear friend from north Walstonburg, came and sat with us during church and enjoyed the food and fellowship.  John and I took our "recipe", marinated pork.  I always get lots of requests for the ingredients, so I will share them here.  Pork is really inexpensive now and I bought a whole boneless pork loin for $1.88 a pound, only about $9 for the whole thing.  So here's the recipe.


We cut the loin into chops about an inch thick to marinate.


Marinade
1/2 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sherry cooking wine 
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I like Saigon cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not salt) but I like to use 1 TSB fresh minced garlic if I have it


Combine all marinade ingredients, mix well, and pour over pork.  Marinate about 3-4 hours turning occasionally.  Grill over hot coals till done, but don't over cook or it will be tough!  Enjoy!  Oh yeah...the recipe can be doubled or tripled depending on the amount of meat being cooked.


Afterwards, home to rest. It's already November!  Where has the time gone?  


PCQ







3 comments:

annie456 said...

Boy!! Do I love John's pork!!! Thanks for the recipe. You had shared it with me on one of our trips to "the Island" and I have used it many times. I add some honey too. That little extra sweet just makes you want to slap a tree--You Know!! So glad you had a good day.

linda said...

Glad you had a good day. I always enjoy All Saints'Day It just seems so special.
You need to put a patent on that recipe.

Stephanie Hale said...

Yummy, thanks Pat. I will try this recipe. Is it similar to your 'Pat's Pack Pride' recipe from that little spiral pork cookbook? I use that one often as well. xoxo