Thursday, November 19, 2009

Two Rowboats and a Helicopter

I know most of you have heard this joke before, but please read it again and I will explain why it's in my missive today....


A man was sitting on his front porch when it started to rain. The rain came down harder and harder and the man realized that it was a flood. So the flood waters were rising and when the water started to spill over the porch, a man in a rowboat comes by. And the man in the rowboat says, "Need any help?"

But the man said, "Nope, the Lord'll take care of me!" A few hours later, the man was standing on a chair on his front porch and another rowboat comes by.

And the man yells, "Need any help?"

But the man smiles and says, "Nope, the Lord'll take care of me!"

A few hours later, the waters continue to rise.  The man is now on his roof and a helicopter comes by.  The pilot yells, "Need any help?!"

But the man just says, "Nope! The Lord'll take care of me!"

A few hours later, the flood gets to be too much for the man and he drowns. When he enters Heaven, he asks the Lord, "Lord, why didn't you take care of me?"

The Lord says, " I sent you two rowboats and a helicopter!"


The first time I heard this joke, it was told by Lewis Grizzard, a southern humorist from Atlanta, who was also one of my favorite writers and performers.  He had a down home southern accent and would say, "God talks like me!"  I loved the joke and the "I sent two rowboats and a helicopter" part.  It has been used on many occasions between John and myself and we both knew what it meant.

Had the opportunity to talk with my pastor, Martin, today.  I was catching him up on my medical situation and some other projects I am involved with at church.  Martin is a very kind and gentle man and  when he came to our church, I instantly felt as if I already knew him.  It wasn't until later when I was watching TV and "M*A*S*H" was on, that I realized his mannerisms reminded me of Father Mulcahy, a principal character on the long running show.  I know Martin reads my blog so I do hope he is flattered by the comparison.  It is certainly intended as such.

But anyway, we talked about support from family and friends and how God's love comes to us through our family, friends and church when we are in need.  I told him some friends had called to check on me.  It was just after getting home from the doctor on Wednesday, and I was still overwhelmed by all the doctor had told me to prepare for.  I couldn't even talk to them...in a teary voice, I told them I would have to call them back.  I looked at Martin and said, "guess they were my two rowboats and helicopter, huh?"

He nodded and told me I need to share my load.  "Your friends want to help," he said.  And I know he is right, but sometimes it is hard to tell people you love difficult things.  If I keep it to myself then I can control some of the hurt and worry, my way of protecting those I love.  But I know, as one of my emails stated, they want so much to help me pull my wagon.

And yes, I will use my rowboats and helicopter and know they were sent with lots of love.  Think I hear one coming now!

PCQ

2 comments:

annie456 said...

We are all paddling so hard for you. We are praying and thinking positive, good thoughts and we all know that you KNOW that too!! I can not imagine the brick wall you have facing you --BUT I do know you are a great climber!! Stay strong and know that we are all there, ready to push you over that wall when you need it!!
Love you!!

linda said...

You know that we all want to help pull or push your wagon. I'm here for you.