Saturday, November 28, 2009

Leap of Faith

Took a big leap of faith today.  So many things could have gone wrong, but they didn't.  John and I haven't really been able to 'live' since I started feeling bad in July.  Today, we did 'live', and it almost made me feel normal and I know John had fun.

As the effects from the chemo and radiation gradually (and I use that term loosely) diminish, I have been able to do more with less pain, or at least manage it better through chemistry, a.k.a. pain medication.  During this, John has been a concern for me, he's not sick, I am.  It is safe for me to be on the sofa wanting to do nothing because of pain or meds.  But John has gladly helped me pull this wagon.  He has done that because of me, doing what is best for me.... and he has never complained.  How thankful I am to have his support and love during this.



Caroline, being a sweetheart during the game.

Last night, after we dropped our daughter, Lauren, at the PGV airport for her flight back to St. Louis, I told John, we should try to get to the ECU football game Saturday.  We haven't been to a single game this year, a very unusual thing for us.  Sometimes, we don't actually 'go' to the game, we just join the tailgate party before or after the game.  We get to see everyone, have fun, toast our friendship, and then back home.

John and I are NC State alum, that is where we met, so ECU has been a thorn in the side, especially since that deadly Atlanta Peach Bowl loss to ECU back in 1991.  Can you believe that still hurts NC State folks and draws a smile to ECU supporters?  Not to mention a few other games that should have been a 'W' in the Wolfpack's history.  Ahhhh....the joys and emotions of college football.

Anyway, I sent a text to my dear friend, Charlie, and he responded right away. "If you come, I'll have tickets for you."  And he did!  What a grand day for football.  The Pirates were playing Southern Miss and they won, in a down to the last play exciting game, pushing the team into first place eastern division champs and will play next Saturday, luckily in Greenville, for the CSA conference championship.  The ECU coach, Skip Holtz, is the son of Lou Holtz, who has coached at many schools, but he was at NC State years ago and I loved him.  He rode out on a white horse during his first game at NCSU.  You remember things like that.




My friend Paula, a.k.a. Watusi, my redheaded girlfriend, cheering for the Pirates!


Back to my original statement about a leap of faith.  Since having radiation and chemo, my tummy parts have not been happy. Leaving home is leaving my comfort zone.  So, to go to the football game today, I couldn't eat anything, had to up my medication and pray.  The leap of faith worked, I leaped and made the cut.

Thanks to my friend Kathy for ferrying us to the game so I didn't have to walk very far.  Thanks Charlie, for tickets right on the 40 yard line in the shade so we didn't have to squint all day, thanks to all my friends for being so kind and offering/providing, cushions, blankets, hand warmers and anything that I may have remotely needed today to enjoy the game.

Just thankful I felt the need to leap and someone was there to catch me.  I am very tired, but it is a good kind of tired.

BTW - The Wolfpack beat our arch rival  the UNC Tarheels (#24) today!  Never know till you play the game.

GO PIRATES!

PCQ

1 comment:

linda said...

What a great day. I'm glad you went. You deserve some fun.