Monday, November 2, 2009

Final Week!



Met with Dr. Ballenger today for my final week of radiation.  The treatment was shorter today.  More focused and only 5 zaps as opposed to the 10 previously.  Plus, the time for each was shorter.  I had lost 4 lbs. and she was not happy with my radiation burn.  I knew yesterday, it was really hurting but she said hopefully, with the small area being treated it will allow for more healing.


I asked her about the scan I had last week.  She said the tumor was smaller but not significantly.  I asked if that was bad?  She said it had decreased which is what she wanted to see.  The tumor didn't get here overnight and it is not going away overnight.  The radiation kills cells as they divide.  Some divide every day, some every week.  If all the cells divided everyday, then the cancer would take over immediately.  This is a slow growing tumor and it will decrease in size slowly from the radiation because of cell division.  But seeing a decrease in size is good.  Very few tumors disappear completely during radiation, this is just part of the process.  


Still very tired and I asked how soon my energy will return after the end of the radiation and chemo treatments. Hard pulling my wagon when I have to sit down and rest every few minutes!  She said unfortunately, that will be the last thing to return.  Takes a long time for our bodies to recover from the chemo and radiation.  YUCK!  WHINE!  WHINE!


After this week is completed, I will see her again in four weeks.


Tomorrow, I have an appointment with Dr. Mahajan, my oncologist. Hopefully, we can get a surgery schedule in place. 


Stay tuned.


PCQ

2 comments:

annie456 said...

You can have all the "whine" and
'yuck" you want and I will even kick in the Cheese!! Glad to hear you have some "Shrinkage" BE BRAVE! And remember- even if you're not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference!!!!






















'

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Thanks Annie...hope you are right that no one can tell the difference. Sometimes I think they can!