Thursday, February 18, 2010

Another Long Day

Wednesday was another long day.  Met with Dr. Brillant, my colon surgeon, to go over final arrangements for the surgery.  He told me the results from my MRI and PET scan showed the center of the tumor had been killed by the radiation treatments, but they also showed "activity" around the outside.  The activity means there is still growth of the cancer.  He said one side had also enlarged.  After we discussed the tests, he said he would like to talk with Dr. Sharts again to make sure all was on go for the surgery.  I still need to get papers signed and tests done at the hospital but he told me to wait till he spoke with Dr. Sharts.  When he told me to wait, it gave me a very uneasy feeling and I asked him if this was good or bad.  "It is what it is," he said.  I had just recently read that statement in an online meditation site that helps people deal with health concerns, so it caused me to pause and take a deep breath.

My next appointment for that day was with Dr. Zeri, the reconstructive surgeon.  He will try to fix whatever the others leave in disarray.  He is very good at what he does and seemed to think all would be okay.

After I left his office, I got a call from Dr. Sharts' office.  He wanted me to get a CT scan done right away so he could check the new growth.  So off I go and sit and wait.  CT scans are rather simple, just have to be stuck and poked again.  They did two scans of my abdomen, and then injected a tracer and then did two more passes.  The cells that are active cancer cells will bind with the injected solution and "light up like a Christmas tree".  

All of this was really taxing me emotionally and physically.  Didn't get any lunch because I had to hurry over for the CT scan.  But that was okay, because I had an evening dinner engagement with my P.O.E.T.S. Investment Group at Annie's house.  It was actually my turn to host, but given my situation, Annie and Karen volunteered.  And what a wonderful meal and fun time we had.  Don't know what I would do without this fine group of women.  They lift me up and make me feel strong.



We put on our "POWER UP" rings we got several years ago in Ocracoke (more on that in a previous blog, so look through the archives) and did a POWER UP chant.

Pulling my wagon seems easier when I been around such vivacious, warm and loving friends.

POWER UP!
PCQ

1 comment:

annie456 said...

Power up!! Keep us updated!! We are ready to get behind that wagon and push like crazy!!