Friday, February 19, 2010

Breaking News!

Called Dr. Mahajan, my oncologist, and told him we needed to talk about the distressing call I had received from Dr. Sharts the previous day.  Arrived at his office around 9:30 Friday morning.  Austin, his nurse, greeted us, and I teared up as soon as she spoke and asked me how I was doing.  She is such a sweet young lady, and always so kind and caring. You don't want to know what my blood pressure was when she took it.  Scared me too!

When Dr. Mahajan came in the examining room, thankfully, I kept my composure and we discussed the situation.  We can't stop here, I must have options, second opinions, I won't give up.  Dr. Mahajan has a wonderful bedside manner and he was very concerned about all I had been through the past 24 hours.  "I want you to look at this as a positive," he said. "Maybe not having surgery here was best.  We have to focus on getting the best care for you."

He was right.  I could have gone through the projected 10 hr. surgery and had everything I was warned about happen and still be left with cancerous cells that were not removed.  And without them ALL being gone, we would be no better off than I am right now.  Actually, much worse.  Where this tumor is located on my spine and nerves, it was very possible, I could lose my legs, lose use of my legs, have limited use....and the list goes on.  So maybe I should say thank you Dr. Sharts for being so cautious and bowing out.  Dr. Mahajan assured me there were other options and he was going to contact his cohorts at Duke to discuss them, so I left expecting a call from him before the end of the day.

Next, we moved to Dr. Brillant's (gastro-colo-rectal surgeon) office, one hall over from Dr. Mahajan.  Dr. Brillant was running behind due to emergencies and scheduling problems, so we sat waiting till after 1 o'clock, but not having an appointment and being worked in, it was somewhat expected.  Dr. Brillant was clearly concerned about all I was being subjected to physically and emotionally.  After discussing our situation at length with him, he asked were we willing to travel?  I told him I had done everything I had been asked to do and traveling was not a problem.  Dr. Brillant trained at the Mayo Clinic and he said he was going to contact his colleagues there and see if they would take my case.  He left the room and was back in a few minutes.  A phone call had been made and they would be back in touch.  It had been a long day already for us, so he told us to get lunch, rest a bit and he would call as soon as "his people talked to their people".  We left his office with a glimmer of hope.

Dr. Brillant called not long after I arrived home.  He had talked with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. and Dr. Heidi Nelson had agreed to accepted me as a patient.  My info was being sent to them and his nurse will be in touch with me on Monday for travel dates.

Shortly afterwards, Dr. Mahajan called.  He had contacted Duke and sent my info.  Surgery looked like it could be a possibility.  I told him about the contacts with the Mayo Clinic and he said he would coordinate with Dr. Brillant and discuss the best options for me.

A long and tiring day, but at least it was a day that offered a glimmer of hope.  Yesterday, hope seemed to be just out of my reach.  So now again, we wait.

As Dr. Brillant said, "Just because it can't be done in Greenville, doesn't mean it's not possible.  But if the Mayo Clinic says no....then it can't be done."   With that said, if we get turned down for surgery, then we will just have to get turned down by the very best.

Looks like this wagon may be headed north.....head 'em up and move 'em out boys!  Put on the snow tires.
PCQ

6 comments:

annie456 said...

Thanks for the update! Iknow we need new tires for that wagon now!!
Continue to be strong as u have been throughout this entire ride!,, The best is yet to come!! Big time prayers heading your way!! Open up your arms and they will be there! Lots of love to u and JQ

Penny and David said...

We've been keeping up with you thru your blog. You are one strong lady. Our prayers continue. Love you both.

annie456 said...

Jean Coleman of Washington just wrote a book entitled" I Met Him in My Overalls". She did an interview and was asked the question has God ever given you more than you could handle? I thought of YOU with her response-
" No! God never gives us more than we can handle. When it seems we are trapped with no way out, He provides a way and He NEVER leaves us alone, though it may seem so. Also, God will use all the "bad things" in our lives for good IF we love and trust Him. The "more-than-we-can-handle" stuff of life is what leads us to God and teaches us to rely on Him."
I know HE is with you on this journey!!

shelleys said...

Pat, thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. I admire your strength and attitude (always have). Can't wait to make a visit to Snow Hill for some delicious sausage when you're feeling better!
-Shelley Smith

Mindy Denton said...

Mrs. Pat You are one tough cookie!! One thing is for sure, God is pulling your wagon and he wants you to sit back and ride! He is not going to let go because his plan is much bigger than ours. Hang in there and thanks for sharing.

Mindy

Carolyn said...

Patsy,
I too have been keeping up with you thru your blog. I am technology challenged and just figured out how to join your blog. I am just amazed at your strength and great attitude. You have had such a tough time and now another hill to climb. I want you to know that Johnny and I have you in our thoughts and prayers.
Johnny pulled out old photos last night and was looking at the pics from his 40th Birthday "This is Your Life". Great pictures of you and JQ. Remember you brought a video of the Embers singing Happy Birthday to Johnny? It was the hit of the party!
We love you both.
Carolyn