Thursday, February 25, 2010

Circle

A dear friend recently called me, she was looking for suggestions.   She is in a Bible study class and it was her turn to have the program.   Like all of us, we always want our words to speak to someone in a special way.  While we spoke she mentioned she had found a feather on her daily walk.  As soon as she said that, it brought back a seminar I attended many, many moons ago in Arizona.  The speaker was promoting the art of writing and he spoke of Native Americans and the Feather Circle.  I don't remember all he said, but what really stuck with me was the feather.  When the tribe would have their meeting, a feather would be passed.  When you held the feather you could talk and no one could interrupt as you tell your truth.

The act of holding the feather fostered his thought on the promotion of writing.  Writing, he said, allows you to tell your story.  It comes from deep within and flows through the 'feather' to the paper, and, as you read your words, the circle is made.

I thought about that speaker again tonight.  Our Forever Young Circle met.  My church buddies have been so kind in supporting John and me in every way they can since I have been ill and I wanted to make sure I could be there and tell them how much it means to us.  I wanted to hold the feather and tell them what was deep in my heart.  Sometimes that is hard, or, you just feel you didn't say enough.  But I do know, we have to try.  Try to let them know every hug, little wink, or gently whispered "I love you," is falling on a heart that does truly appreciate it all.

It was a good night.  A night that allowed me to say thank you to "my circle".  And yes, we really did sit in a circle.

PCQ

No comments: