Monday, February 15, 2010

Stressful Day

My day started early with an MRI.  I needed this to be used in conjunction with the PET scan that was done a few weeks ago.  It is my understanding, the doctors can see some things on the PET scan and other things on the MRI.  The "things" are my parts and very important in the process.



Here's a photo of the SIEMENS MRI machine.  Luckily, I could go in feet first so part of my head was right near the opening you see in the picture.  If you want to know why that is important, look in the archives on the right and find the one about the St. Louis Gateway Arch.  Anyway, with a little smooth jazz playing in the earphones, a blindfold over my eyes and a little medication, being in that little tube wasn't so bad today.  Not that I am a wimp, just prefer the great outdoors!

Amazing how you don't forget the sounds you hear when you are in a stressed situation.  Think our bodies give off adrenaline that helps us remember stuff that we think may be harmful.  All the thumps, grinds, and bumping of the MRI came right back to me.  It's been six months since I had the first one and once it started it seemed like yesterday.

Anyway, made it through the MRI, with contrast injections too.  Also had blood work done for the surgery.  So I have several new poke holes.

Afterwards, had an appointment with Dr. Sharts, my neurosurgeon.  Won't go into all he said, but very proud of myself for sitting there and listening without saying, "YOU ARE GOING TO DO WHAT?!!!"


Here's a mock spine he used to demonstrate.  Dr. Sharts is showing where he will saw off the base of my spine to "hopefully" remove the cancerous growth.  Now, if that's all he had to do....we could stop here, but, it's not....so more to come later.

My brain went into shock at this point.  Even though I knew all of this was going to happen, just hearing it AGAIN dusted it off and put it in the front of my wagon so I must look at it, right square in the eyes!

Can't worry but so much about all of this or I will be paralyzed with fear, so, I will be brave and remember the quote (not sure who said it), "A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once."

When I got home, weak and weary, I had another band of angels bring food.  Given all that had happened today, it made dinner taste ever so much sweeter!

The countdown begins.

PCQ

2 comments:

annie456 said...

Hope you are resting today!! You certainly had a busy day yesterday!!So, I assume the PED Test was good and the suregy is a go. That is a good thing!!
I know this a crazy to say, but try not to worry too much!! Today is the tommorow you worried about yesterday!! Do the very best you can.. and leave the outcome to God!!
Much love to you and hope for a restful night. See you tomorrow evening.

Stephanie Hale said...

Pat, you are an amazing, brave and wonderful person, especially for sharing all of this journey with us. Thank you. We are praying for you EVERY DAY and can't wait to visit again when your surgery is SUCCESFULLY a thing of the past! Much love to you. xoxo