Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Coaching Third




I went to a baseball game tonight.  My compadres all congregate in The Jungle, an area behind second and third base, and they call Tony the mayor.  It was a fine night for a baseball game, visiting with friends, and making good memories.  

I stood there, eating a hotdog and looking at the beautiful Clark-LeClair Stadium.  The sun was bouncing off all the ECU purple and gold and a gentle breeze was tickling the stars and stripes as the national anthem played. 

You can't help but think about Keith LeClair anytime you go the stadium.  They named it after him.  But it goes much deeper than that.  LeClair, a past ECU baseball coach, died of ALS, a cruel disease that slowly robs you of life.  In some ways, I can identify with the pain and loss he endured.  But what I want to do is live like him.  

A book about his life, Coaching Third, was recently released, and though I haven't read it yet, I have had the opportunity to hear a few stories from it.  LeClair, who coached third base during part of his baseball career,  realized after becoming ill, that coaching moved to third place after God and family.  What an inspiration he continues to be for all of us.

So, as I stood there, enjoying my friends, listening to their stories, somehow life seemed more special.  Enjoy ever minute, it goes by just too fast.

PCQ

2 comments:

Tonia Aldridge said...

Pat- I love reading your blog. Your words are so lovely and inspirational.... as I read Jimmy V's list of things to do each day, your blog helps me reach those goals.... some days there is laughter (when I invision the squeeky cooler top on the porch of your beach cottage) and some are tears.... You have so many people that are supporting you, loving you and praying for you every day!
Blessings to you!
Tonia

annie456 said...

Boy, that hotdog looked good!! We are just going to have to get to one of those baseball games soon!! Wish I had known you were going to be there, I would traveled right over!! Glad you had a good time!