Monday, March 15, 2010

Plan B

My appointment with Dr. Mahajan was at 11 o'clock.  He came in and we discussed our trip to the Mayo Clinic and he read over all the information they sent home with me.

Now we start Plan B, or maybe it now becomes Plan A.  I will have an IV port put in by Dr. Brillant, at the Surgicenter, on Tuesday.  The port will be put on my chest which will allow direct access of the chemotherapy to my heart by way of a small tube.  The reason for this is to get the drugs to a large flow of blood allowing it to be distributed quickly.  Dilute, dilute, dilute....remember I told you they will be trying to poison me, AGAIN!  Anyway, the port will be inserted and that will be where all chemo will be administered.

There will be three different  chemo drugs (more on the drugs later).  One of the drugs will make me very sensitive to cold, cold anything.  They even gave me a packet with gloves, a scarf, and a blanket.  Guess that lets me know there may be a problem, huh?

So, I start the chemo treatments on Monday.  The first day will be very long as they will give the drugs one at a time and slowly to see how my body accepts it.  If all goes okay, then the next day it will be done a little faster.  My understanding is that I will have 2-3 days of chemo treatments and then be off for 2 weeks.  But I will verify that when I go in.  There was just too much information being given and not sure if I have it all on the correct timeline.

After talking with Dr. Mahajan, he showed me the room where the treatments will be given.  There were several people in the room when I went in.  I know the look that was in their eyes, I saw it when I first walked into the radiation office.  Some were asleep or at least they had their eyes closed, and others looked at me, knowing, the adventure I was getting ready to embrace.  "You can bring your own pillow and blanket, but we have some here if you need them," the nurse said.  "We also have drinks and snacks, but you will have to get your own lunch if you want more than a snack," she said.

We walked into another office and she gave me a large packet of information on the drugs I would be given.  She left me for a few minutes to get more forms to sign and I looked around the room.  It was filled with wigs, scarves, and information on all different types of cancer.  There were demonstrations of how to tie the scarves in summer and winter and where to purchase things you may need while going through the treatments.

Soon she was back with instructions to get several tests done, so off I go to the main office at Physicians East.  When I got there, they told me I needed a blood test, chest X-Ray, and EKG.  "Oh no," I said, "just had that done at the Mayo Clinic on Monday, shouldn't have to get it done again."  "We will need the information on file here," she said.  So, I whipped out my iPhone and got the direct phone number for the Mayo Clinic and she called to have it faxed right away.  Got that done thanks to modern technology.

By then, it was nearly 3 o'clock, no lunch, and I had been busy the past four hours setting up a time for the port surgery, getting chemotherapy information and begin time, and getting scheduled to meet with my radiologist.

Long day, but I was finished.  Had pulled my wagon about as far as I wanted to go.  But the plan was now in place.  I am thankful that I am, other than this nasty growth, healthy and strong, and ready to take this next step with no reservations, knowing I have all of you prayer warriors walking along with me.

PCQ

6 comments:

Jean said...

Just hang in there! You are a very tough lady!! We are helping you all the way with your wagon. You've got that strong Lee/Wheeler blood in you!! Our prayers will continue to be with you all. BTW John, you are doing a great job with the blog!!

Willamina said...

You will be glad you have the port. During chemo you can get up and go to the bathroom and just roll your IV stand with you .Also, it is not as painful as getting it in your arm. I was given some lidicane creme to rub on the port before chemo.
My prayers with be with you as your "wagon turns direction".
Willamina

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Thanks Willamina, I'm listening.

Kimmy said...

You're in mine and Phil's prayers, daily.

I"ve also asked the Emmaus Prayer warriors to pray for you, too.

XOXOX

Kim

annie456 said...

Okay- so now Plan B becomes Plan A. We have A PLAN! Hang in there! You have tons of prayers coming your way!! Let's just keep that wagon rolling!! We are all behind you--pushing it!

lauren said...

When will we hear about which drugs you'll be taking?