Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Much Better Today

Didn't realize what a puny puppy I was on Monday, when I returned home from my first day of chemo treatments, till John and I talked today.  What I didn't say in my blog yesterday, was that I had a school board meeting at 6 last night.  Had just enough time when I got home from the long day at the first chemo treatment to re-rag and get ready to leave.  Not only is it a meeting, I am the chairwoman.  Thankfully, our meeting went well.  We approved plans for our new intermediate school, approved revised fiscal items, approved our auditor contract, and got a wonderful overview of the exciting tour our Young Scholars will have this coming summer to the Grand Canyon, New York City, and Chicago, via the train.

But it had been a long day, and when I got home.  I had a total collapse.  My mind and body had been through about as much as it needed for one day.  My sweetheart, John, had dinner all ready for me, BBQ chicken and hand cut friend fries, yummy, and just what I wanted and needed.  Good comfort food.

Had several phone calls to return and soon it was time for bed.  The chemo pump I was wearing proved to be a little difficult, probably more so than it will be tonight, because I was still in significant pain from the port insertion.  The site was really hurting and I just couldn't seem to get it under control.  Also, the effects of the medication I am taking were starting to take effect.  Most of the drugs hopefully, will have minimal side effects, at least that is what I am hoping for, but one, has had significant warnings about the impact of anything cold.  The nurse said she had been told, drinking cold water would feel like cut glass going down my throat and the feeling that my throat will close up and I can't breathe.  Obviously, it will only take one time of doing that to get my attention and make sure I don't do that again.  But it started, and touching a cold door knob, brushing my teeth, picking up a glass, reaching in the refrigerator to get the ketchup....OUCH!  Feels like an electric shock, or like your foot feels when it goes to sleep and wakes up, the needle prickly feeling, except it doesn't go away quickly.  I looked for a pair of gloves.

Enough about the chemo, I have had some wonderful surprises recently.  This cute little red wagon, with a warm fleece blanket, book, assortment of exotic teas, trail mix, gum, and jelly beans, was lovingly placed by my back door Sunday afternoon by Stanley and Kay.  What sweet friends to think of me and know what my next day at chemo was going to bring.  The little red wagon will pop up again, I promise.


A short time later, there was a knock on the front door.  It was Stuart, a neighbor down the road, standing there with a smile and a homemade caramel cake.  Again, YUM, YUM!


And the flowers my prawn friend, Natalie brought last week, are still beautiful.  Don't think a day has gone by that I didn't have a vase of fresh flowers in the house and it has certainly made my life more pleasant.


My wagon has been pulled many miles the past few months.  Don't know what I would do without all the fine things I have been given to take with me.

PCQ

5 comments:

linda said...

What a wonderful group of friends and community you have. The red wagon was a treat. Keeping you in my prayers.

Rosalyn Moody said...

I read your blogs daily and just wanted you to know you are indeed an inspiration to me. Take care and feel free to call. Rosalyn

lauren said...

How sweet! Love that red wagon.

annie456 said...

THat little red wagon is so cute!! Try to get some rest today!! You need it, I am sure!!
Love Ya!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

No rest today, must go back in to get the chemo pack taken off. Hopefully, it will not take too long. Then back home for another meeting at 5:30. Then free! The meds are really affecting my fingers. Have to wear gloves ALL the time to prevent that wicked cold tingling.