Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Great and Powerful Oz


Got together with my Garden Club friends a few days ago.  My artist friend, Pat, was hosting us and she always finds a way to make us feel special.   When I walked in, several of them were already working on the project she had for us.  We were going to dye our own silk scarf!

Since my surgery at PCMH was cancelled and the Mayo Clinic came into the picture, John and I have felt like we were trying to get to Emerald City to see the Wizard of Oz.  Yes, I know it sounds corny, but I have felt like Dorothy, following the yellow brick road to see the the Great and Powerful Oz.  One day all was well in Kansas, then I got sick and was plopped down in a place where everything was different.  All I want is to be back home, just like it used to be and every time I ask for help to get back home, they point and say, "You'll have to see the Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Mayo Clinic)."

The wicked witch periodically and painfully pokes me, "I'll get you my pretty...", to let me know she is still around.  But I try to remember all the wonderful munchkin friends that surrounded me in prayer and sent me on my way.

I have managed to stay on the yellow brick road so far, and not get lost, but I've sure seen plenty of flying monkeys and they still frighten me.  There have been several times when my buddy the Tin Man got rusted up, Scarecrow didn't have all the straw he needed to hold me up, and my Leo the Lion hearted John had to dig deep to find the courage he needed to help me make it through the deep and dark forest.  But I have made it this far.

So, when we started making our scarves, mine was dyed emerald green for good luck...green for the Emerald City. And, when I do finally make it to see the Great and Powerful Oz in Emerald City, I will have my lucky green scarf along with all the other lucky charms in my wagon with me.

PCQ

3 comments:

linda said...

I did not know you were in the Emerald City. I thought that the Woman were strong and the children were above average there, Keep on the yellow brick road. Love you

annie456 said...

Do I need to send you some RED sparkling heels?? Loved you story!!And Remember, Dorothy did see OZ and she got back to Kansas-- she just had to BELIEVE!!!

Lauren said...

We must be channeling one another! For this project in california I've been printing out pix of Dorothy and her cohort in the poppy fields on their way to the Emerald City. The mean witch made the poppies poisonous, and it dared to put Dorothy in a deep sleep before she could make it to the wizard. . . Luckily, her friend the tin man and the scare crow were immune to the poison, and helped Dorothy and the lion pull their 'wagons'. Thank goodness for all the scarecrows and tin men out there!