Monday, March 22, 2010

Drip - Drip - Drip

Woke up a little earlier than usual this morning, though it was still dark outside.  Guess I was just anxious over all that would be happening today.  Monday, and it looks like it may rain any minute, but at least it is warm outside.  Seems so good that I am not freezing all the time.

I left home for my 8:15 appointment with Dr. Ballenger in a pouring rain storm.  I always worry about our school buses when it is raining and time for school to take in.

Hadn't seen Dr. Ballenger, my radiologist, since last fall.  Was good to see her, she is a very warm and caring physician, and especially good as she is pregnant.  Told her it looked like she had been having way more fun than me.  She is having twin boys this summer and very excited.

Caught her up on my Mayo visit and we discussed my options with regard to any additional radiation.  Her recommendation is no more radiation at this time.  If my pain were to increase substantially, we may have to revisit, but for now, no more.

After leaving, I went directly to my appointment with Dr. Mahajan.  I start my first chemotherapy treatment today, so it is a big day.  Obviously, I am apprehensive about it.  Reading all the materials that I received about the meds (and having to sign a statement saying I understand) can certainly get the old worry ball moving.  Dr. Mahajan was very kind and told me I was healthy and should do just fine.  Not to worry about things that may not happen.  So, I will take his advice and hope for good things.

He did give me a prescription for nausea.  Hopefully, I will not need it, but.....



Next, on to the DRIP ROOM.  There are 12 chairs and today it was nearly full.  The photo above was taken this afternoon around 4 p.m. when the other patients had already left.  I was the only one still getting a treatment, though there were other people coming in to get shots, have temperature taken and other things.  With this being my first day, I am still getting a 'lay of the land'.  I'll have it all figured out soon.

More papers to sign.  Does it ever stop?  But, the nurses were very good about showing all the equipment and what was expected.

Hooking me up to the IV machine proved to be a little challenging.  The infection had my port site still very sore.  It was still warm to the touch and the nurse went to get final approval from Dr. Brillant before continuing.  Dr. Mahajan had looked at it and thought it was okay, though he did mention my bad luck.

OUCH!  "May hurt a little'" she said.  That was a gross under estimate.  It hurt really bad!  She had to 'manipulate' the port to start the connection.  Did I say it HURT REALLY bad???  The needle they use to connect me to the IV has a hook on it and she has to manipulate it to get it connected so it won't come loose.  The first try didn't work.  OUCH!!  The needle kept popping out, so she had to undo and get another needle and start all over.  OUCH!!!  OUCH!!  OUCH!!!  Finally, she got it connected and I was ever so thankful for that.  By this time, I was sweating and wishing I had one of those pumps the hospital gives you with pain meds in it and you mash the button.  I would have been pounding it.  She was really sorry she had to push so hard but the tissue is still swollen around the port site and it was what had to be done.

Each of the meds I receive today are being given separately and more slowly than they will be on the next visit.  Between each med, they must flush the line and get the IV machine restarted.  She did give me a nausea drug prior to starting the pump.  We went over things I must do and be careful of.  They are sending me home with a pump that I will wear till Wednesday and I will come back in and have it removed.  After that, I will be off for two weeks and start the process all over again.

Been a long day and still much time to go.  It does seem a shame to have to spend the time you have, sitting in a chair, connected to medications so powerful and poisonous that there are warning signs everywhere about how to dispose, cleanup, and contain, what is being generously dripped into your body.


But that is where my wagon is being pulled today.  POWER UP!

PCQ

6 comments:

Willamina said...

I'm so sorry your port is tender and the nurse had a hard time. At that point, I bet you wanted to say do my arm! I pray next time will be better and your side effects will be few. God is in control.
Willamina Sugg

annie456 said...

POWER UP!!!! I could see that aura in the picture of you!! It is there-- even if you can't feel it sometimes!! Will check on you tomorrow!!

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Thanks Willamina. I know this brings back lots of memories for you. So appreciate your encouragement and concern.

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Annie - don't know what I would do without your daily inspirations. You really do make me feel "the power", in many ways. love you.

Jean said...

Pat, You are one tough lady. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Wayne asked me this morning if I had heard from you and then said "no, you haven't been on the computer all weekend!!" But I told him I would check on you tonight. So here I am. Sorry you had such a tough day today, but things will get better. God is in control as Willamina said. Continue staying strong and remember we love you all!
Jean Edwards

PORKCHOPQUEEN said...

Jean, make sure you tell all our cousins to have their colons checked. We have one too many people in our family that had colon cancer. March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month.