Thursday, October 8, 2009

Equal Opportunity

I am starting to settle into the radiation process. I'm getting to know all the people who work there and they know me. As a side bar, one of the technicians graduated from Greene Central High School. I told her to check her diploma, it would have my signature on it.


Starting to recognize some of the other patients too. Cancer and radiation are equal opportunity providers! The patients are young, old, black, white, fat, skinny, rich, poor, some with hair, some without. Some look sick and some do not. We are all trained well now and know what to do to get our treatment and get back out into the real world.


They were running behind schedule today due to a computer problem so I had to wait about an hour and a half past my appointment time. One older gentleman there seemed a little agitated and through a few comments he made, we realized he had left his wife home alone and he couldn't reach his son or next door neighbor to check on her. She has Alzheimer's and he doesn't like to leave her very long and this was too long. He said he cut the electricity off but was worried. We let him move to the front of the line and he seemed to appreciate that.


Soon it was my turn. Zip Zap....radiation done....is that bacon I smell?


Oh yeah....the poison pills came today. Put 'em in the wagon. I'll keep you updated.


PCQ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, my name is Catherine and I am from John's smoking cessation group. I have only read your first entry and I can tell that I like you already! : ) I have every intention of reading the rest. First, I want to say that I am so sorry for all that you and your family are going through. Secondly, please know that I will be praying for you and your family. Lastly, how awesome that the group allowed this gentleman to go first. What a beautiful example of how we never know the load someone else is carrying. It is a pleasure meeting you Love, I look forward to reading more. xoxo, Catherine