Friday, October 2, 2009

Mama's Fried Chicken


My mom came today. And with her she brought her just cooked fried chicken. Anyone who knows my mother, knows she is probably one of the best fried chicken cooks in the world.

When our girls were young, we were on a trip to the mountains and stopped around Greensboro to eat dinner. Our oldest daughter, Meredith, who was probably 10 years old at the time, ordered fried chicken and when it came, started to eat. After a bite or two, she looked up and said with only the honesty that can come from a child, "Grandma must cook the best chicken in the world cause this don't taste nothing like hers. I bet she could be rich if she opened a chicken restaurant."

My mother will be 80 this year and as sharp as ever. She is retired from Johnson and Johnson, but still works 3 days a week at Carolina Pottery in Smithfield, just because she thinks people fall apart when they stop working. And I think partly because she enjoys what she does there, designing flower arrangements.

The fried chicken was wonderful and a fine time we had. We talked and caught up on all the family near and far. But the day went by quickly and before long it was time for her to go and time for me to ready myself for today's radiation treatment. We hugged and she made me promise I would keep her up to date on my progress.

My Mama will always be "my Mama" and her fried chicken will always be the best.

1 comment:

annie456 said...

What a lovely lady!! You two surely do favor each other!! Man, you know how much I love Fried Chicken. You need to take lessons!! I have been learning the art of jelly making from my Mom of late. She is the BEST jelly maker in the world. You learn to fry chicken and I will make you jelly!! Ever wonder what we will be the "best" at doing????