Thursday, October 15, 2009

Update and God Shots



Thought I would give an update today as I have had many questions.

Completed my 14th radiation treatment today. The doctor would like to do 30, so not quite half way. Still tolerating the radiation treatments okay. Occasionally, I can feel a burn or sting but mostly it is okay. With the pain in my back, right hip and thigh, it does make it difficult to lie flat and still on the rigid bed of the radiation machine but so far I have managed. The Radioplex cream seems to be helping with the skin burn I have on my backside from the radiation.

The poison pills (chemo), a.k.a. Xeloda, are being tolerated okay too. I have bouts of nausea sometimes and the best way to explain the feeling is to say it is like morning/motion sickness. Between the radiation and poison pills, I am tired. Sometimes more than other times and not sure why as I can't identify a rhyme or reason. The chemo pills are not supposed to make me lose my hair.

The pain is certainly less than it was initially when I could not sit, stand or recline to get any relief. The pain meds I am taking are masking most of the pain and I cannot tell you how wonderful that is. But, on the flip side, they make me sleepy and leave me a little foggy. Plus, I don't want to drive when I take them.

As I continue my daily treks to take radiation treatments, I know each trip brings me closer to a surgery date, (right now the surgery will be in Greenville) though not sure when that will be. I try not to think about it and all the changes it may bring. I know I must have surgery to remove this growth and apply radiation directly to the bone, but hesitant about crossing that line. I know you will find this statement amazing given all that happens to me everyday, but life is not so bad right now. I can handle my current situation. Don't know what my life will be like after surgery.

Still receiving wonderful cards, phone calls and emails from everyone and I thank you for them. Thought I would share one that I received today.

The email reads:
"As you are so aware, when dealing with cancer, your outlook these days is one day at a time, one moment at a time, and sometimes, when the emotional and physical pain are so bad, it is one second at a time. They say God won't give you more than you can handle...hmmmm...I say, "LIFE will try and give you more than you can handle, but God will give you what you need to get you through it." I really hold onto that. It always seems when we think we are at our lowest, we receive a 'God Shot' at just the right time...to help us get through the moment. I hope that you are getting many God Shots through your journey."


And I thank all of you for sending me "God Shots" everyday!

PCQ

2 comments:

Sara said...

Pat--
Just checking in after a few months of being MIA in the blog world-- and just bowled over by what you are dealing with!!

I am just going through your posts and getting the info... you are obviously keeping your chin up, and attitude is *so* important.
I recognize that fighting spirit-- you have passed it down to your daughter!

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. Please know I'm thinking of you.
It just reminds you how fast things can change, and how flexible we have to be to accommodate those changes. Don't let this young whippersnapper tell you anything-- you are a living example of "when the going gets tough" !!
My best to you-- and let me know if there is anything, however small or large, I can do for you!!
love, love, love,
Sara N. B.

annie456 said...

Faith and Doubt are both needed,not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve!!
Hang in there!~!