Saturday, October 24, 2009

Powerful Prayer Quilt

Dorothy, a dear friend from church,  called about a week ago.  She wanted to know my favorite colors.  After we chatted a few minutes, she said she wanted to make a prayer quilt for me.  I really didn't know what to say.  A prayer quilt?  A quilt takes a long time to make.


My grandmother made quilts when I was a little girl and was a very gifted designer.  I still have many of the quilts she made for me.  On occasion she used my old discarded but colorful dresses for squares and I can look at the quilts and see sundresses and pinafores I wore when I  was just a little thing.  I do remember seeing her working on one quilt, placing the pieces for stitching and to my horror, I saw swatches of my favorite yellow summer dress.  At the time, I was too young to realize I had outgrown the dress, all I knew was my beautiful yellow seersucker sundress had been cut to pieces and was in that quilt!


But some of my fondest childhood memories also come from playing with my dolls and scraps of cloth underneath the big quilt frame while Grandma's  lady friends gathered at her house, talked, laughed, and stitched away.  And there were the wonderful cakes and goodies they brought that add to those sweet memories.  So hearing the word, quilt, brought instant memories of the warmth and love I felt from my grandmother Lila.


Dorothy went on to explain how she makes her quilt.  After the quilt is completed, she places a string in the corner of each square.  Each string must then be tied to hold it securely in place.  As the string is tied, a prayer is said for the person receiving the quilt.  Dorothy made my beautiful quilt and it was placed on the altar railing at my church last Sunday.  As the strings were tied, a prayer was said for me.  After all the prayer strings were tied, others placed their hand on the quilt and said a prayer for me also.  What a beautiful expression of Christian love!  I didn't feel that I deserved such a kind offering.


Dorothy and our pastor, Martin, came to visit me on Friday.  With them, they brought the powerful prayer quilt and presented it to me.  I was overwhelmed and cannot describe how blessed I feel to have the out pouring of love and kindness from so many people.  And as I pull my wagon, my prayer quilt will sure be a welcome addition.


My prayer quilt is so full of love....my only question is....how did she manage to get all of that love in her car to bring it?




PCQ

5 comments:

annie456 said...

How beautiful and what a powerful representaion of love and prayer. YOU are in all of our prayers everyday. People that have not even had the good fortune to know you are praying for you.--AND -it does work!! Beautiful-- just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt! I know you are happy for such a meaningful and precious new blanket to keep you warm.
Watch out, I might want to "inherit" it like I did one of Great-Grandma Lila's quilts!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful quilt and so much love in every stitch. You are in our prayers daily. Hope it want be long until you are through with your treatments.

Stephanie Hale said...

Wow! The commenters before me have already used this word, but it is... BEAUTIFUL. The quilt itself and the love that went into it. And what good timing, just as winter is upon us. That reminds me of the Linus Blanket (a much smaller quilt) that Sydney received when she was in the PICU with sepsis after being born. She still enjoys it to this day. Thanks for the updates Pat. XOXOXO

Sara said...

What a wonderful gift and the quilt itself is really beautiful! I'm guessing you like orange and yellow? I love it!